No bullet guide w/ magazines?

Hey guys. Does anyone know if you you can use sany mags (besides the $50 Surefire ones) without putting a bullet guide in the gun.

I feel I can do everything but the bullet guide with my little tool collection, is there any way to just mod the mags(preferably) or maybe the gun alittle bit, or do you have to have the bullet guide for hicap mags?

Thanks alot.

Hey guys. Does anyone know if you you can use sany mags (besides the $50 Surefire ones) without putting a bullet guide in the gun.

I feel I can do everything but the bullet guide with my little tool collection, is there any way to just mod the mags(preferably) or maybe the gun alittle bit, or do you have to have the bullet guide for hicap mags?

Thanks alot.

You can build up the front of the mag with epoxy, or a smooth headed screw. I would suggest though to get Dinzag's bullet guide kit. It is super easy.

I bought my Saiga a couple weeks ago and been reading this forum for the last couple months. You guys had me all worried about finding high capacity mags that would reliably work after all the discussions on different makes of composite and steel mags that do and do not work well with the Saiga. Don't know if I just got lucky but I bought a 30 round composite made by Pro Mag and it works flawlessly without any bullet guide in gun and only modifications to the mag was the minute it took to use my dremel tool to relieve the top left side of the mag like the factory is relieved. Shoots first, last and every bullet in between. It did fit a little loose with it being 80 thousands of an inch narrower than the Saiga magazine so I epoxied a peice of 30 thousands sheet metal onto each side of the mag up where it is inserted into receiver. Even though it was loading successfully I also went ahead and built up the front of the mag with a half inch long peice of 3/16" square key stock epoxied in place so it has the exact same dimensions as the original mag up front. I tried 1/4" keystock first but it was just high enough that it interfered with the bolt action of the gun. The 3/16" is perfect in height, the 1/2" wide fits snugly into front of magazine and a 1 minute job to epoxy in place once it is cut 1/2" long. But when cycling bullets out of mag by hand with mag out of gun or watching real close when cycling with mag in gun, the bullet never touches this raised section. The mag is engineered with the right angle that the bullet just goes right into chamber every time and rises above this raised section in front of mag. Rapid fire or slow fire, it works fine. Fits totally snug in the gun too. Have run through several hundred rounds of ammunition without any misfires or loading of bullet problems. So unless you just have to have a steel mag for a 223 all is needed is a $15 composite pro mag, key stock and few square inches of sheet metal with maybe 5 minutes of time and you have a perfect job at a low price with an unlimited supply of mags to buy instead of searching for all the hard to find foreign one's. I will only be shooting the Saiga so don't care that the mag won't work in other AK's now that I have reworked it.

I bought my Saiga a couple weeks ago and been reading this forum for the last couple months. You guys had me all worried about finding high capacity mags that would reliably work after all the discussions on different makes of composite and steel mags that do and do not work well with the Saiga. Don't know if I just got lucky but I bought a 30 round composite made by Pro Mag and it works flawlessly without any bullet guide in gun and only modifications to the mag was the minute it took to use my dremel tool to relieve the top left side of the mag like the factory is relieved. Shoots first, last and every bullet in between. It did fit a little loose with it being 80 thousands of an inch narrower than the Saiga magazine so I epoxied a peice of 30 thousands sheet metal onto each side of the mag up where it is inserted into receiver. Even though it was loading successfully I also went ahead and built up the front of the mag with a half inch long peice of 3/16" square key stock epoxied in place so it has the exact same dimensions as the original mag up front. I tried 1/4" keystock first but it was just high enough that it interfered with the bolt action of the gun. The 3/16" is perfect in height, the 1/2" wide fits snugly into front of magazine and a 1 minute job to epoxy in place once it is cut 1/2" long. But when cycling bullets out of mag by hand with mag out of gun or watching real close when cycling with mag in gun, the bullet never touches this raised section. The mag is engineered with the right angle that the bullet just goes right into chamber every time and rises above this raised section in front of mag. Rapid fire or slow fire, it works fine. Fits totally snug in the gun too. Have run through several hundred rounds of ammunition without any misfires or loading of bullet problems. So unless you just have to have a steel mag for a 223 all is needed is a $15 composite pro mag, key stock and few square inches of sheet metal with maybe 5 minutes of time and you have a perfect job at a low price with an unlimited supply of mags to buy instead of searching for all the hard to find foreign one's. I will only be shooting the Saiga so don't care that the mag won't work in other AK's now that I have reworked it.

Care to post a picture of the magazine.

Care to post a picture of the magazine.

sure, photo is attached. Haven't had a chance to finish it off and make it look nice yet so you can see the little bit of work needed to make it fit the gun and not wobble side to side. Shot another 100 trouble free rounds through it yesterday. Will finish the rough edges off using automotive body filler to hide the parts I added and repaint it so it will look like it came from the factory when I get done with it. Going to convert the gun to pistol grip and finish with duracoat the complete gun. Probably semi-gloss black with a few touches of titanium on the trigger, bolt, rivet heads, etc. to give it some character. This is the first time I have tried to add a photo so hope it works. saiga.jpg

Thanks alot.

If you have a cordless drill you have everything you need if you buy Dinzag's kit. It is very easy with great directions to follow. Contact Dinzag and you will know your rifle works with all readily available hi-caps.