Forearm alteration

I'm considering acquiring a .308 to add to my .223 and 20 gauge. The Tapco Galil style forearm won't fit on the .308 (without alterations that I don't want to do) and am considering taking the factory stock and altering the front profile as a few others here have done.

Are the walls of the forearm solid or hollow that would require filling and painting? Obviously my preference would be to grind the forearm to shape, sand and buff the fresh edges and I'm finished. I work with plastics extensively but still do not desire to get into filling and painting.

I'm considering acquiring a .308 to add to my .223 and 20 gauge. The Tapco Galil style forearm won't fit on the .308 (without alterations that I don't want to do) and am considering taking the factory stock and altering the front profile as a few others here have done.

Are the walls of the forearm solid or hollow that would require filling and painting? Obviously my preference would be to grind the forearm to shape, sand and buff the fresh edges and I'm finished. I work with plastics extensively but still do not desire to get into filling and painting.

I would cut it rather than grind it to shape. It melts pretty bad. No hollows, just a couple places to look out for on some forearms.

There are steel inserts within the plastic at the front and rear of some of them. You can see where they are by the rough appearance on the inside. You can also use a magnet or metal detector to locate them or verify there presence.

Well, I mulled over the issue of altering the handguard for a few days. I decided that I liked the factory handguard a lot but wanted some of the gas tube to show to give the gun more of an AK look. Once I saw that the handguard front would be held in place by the pin on the underside of the barrel, I decided to do surgery. The results are seen below.

I'm really happy with it. Most of the handguard stayed and is funstional, and just enough of the gas tube shows to get the AK look. I haven't added any ventilation as I'm guessing that the current alteration will open things up enough.

Many thanks to whoever originated this modification (Navyguy?) as I never would have thought of it myself.

post-6665-1183303905_thumb.jpg