Single or double hook trigger for Saiga-12

Some say that the double hook gives a smoother trigger pull because of more surface area. I used one on my first S-12 conversion just to be as authentic as possible to the original AKs. It only takes a minute to cut out the second notch in the reciever. I really can't tell much difference between the doubles in my x39 and AKS-12, and the single hooks I have in my other conversions. Actually it's easier to get a nice two stage pull if you only have to doctor one trigger claw. From what I read the Russians eventually stopped using the double hook because it was just overkill.

Some say that the double hook gives a smoother trigger pull because of more surface area. I used one on my first S-12 conversion just to be as authentic as possible to the original AKs. It only takes a minute to cut out the second notch in the reciever. I really can't tell much difference between the doubles in my x39 and AKS-12, and the single hooks I have in my other conversions. Actually it's easier to get a nice two stage pull if you only have to doctor one trigger claw. From what I read the Russians eventually stopped using the double hook because it was just overkill.

True, two hooks was overkill but this was not why Russia and her Soviet 'Satellite' countries went to single hook.

It was found that the AKM in full auto fire with the new sheet metal receiver caused harmonics which would bounce the bolt carrier off the front trunnion and as the hammer was not delayed long enough, the hammer was released too soon with resulting failure to fire. The fix was a hammer retarder mechanism or more commonly called a rate reducer which is installed in the place of the right trigger hook.

The Chinese use a slightly thicker receiver which didn't have the same harmonics as Soviet weapons so they never went to the single hook.

Edited by Etek