Help with field-stripping my brand new Saiga .308

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new rifle!!

That little lever can be a pain in the ass to manipulate. I tore off several layers of skin doing it the first time around but it will move. I would not suggest hitting it with anything although I was pretty sure a ball peen hammer was called for. In the end, I just ignored the pain until it finally moved. I've noticed that it's gotten slightly easier to move since then and it will also mark the receiver the same way the safety does. Now that I'm thinking about it maybe a set of leather gloves would have helped....hmmm.

Also, have you checked to see if that rail you're buying will fit on the saiga .308? As far as I know (and I'm a relative newbie as well) there isn't a rail system out there that will fit a stock saiga .308.

While you're in a somewhat buying mood, I'd also suggest .308 snap caps so that you can dry fire the weapon and get used to the trigger. You'll have to leave the dust cover off so that you can cock the hammer back manually instead of cycling the bolt (which then causes your snap cap round to eject).

Another purchase would be a sight adjustment tool because windage and elevation adjustments are done at the front sight post. You can drift the front sight left or right by banging it (lightly to not so lightly) with an object (rock, small hammer, whatever works). The circular area that looks like it has a short fat rod in it is what moves on the front sight post. Elevation is by turning the post itself.

Again, welcome and good shooting!!

Hey GunnyR - thanks for your reply and welcome!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having a hard time with this pin...whew. I took a good chunk of my thumb off and bled all over the handguard when I tried to mess with it originally. It still wouldn't budge, so then I put some gun-oil on the hinge and tapped it with a block of wood - it moved slightly, but I still haven't been able to "detach the gas tube using an

upward motion" - man, it's a pain... :cryss:

In regards to the mount I bought, I confirmed with both cheaperthandirt.com as well as Leapers that the particular mount I purchased will indeed fit my RAA Saiga .308 - if not, cheaperthandirt.com will pay for the shipping back for a full refund, so I can't lose. I love cheaperthandirt.com - those guys are awesome! :super:

Oh yeah - one more question - what do I need to do to put a muzzle-brake on my rifle? I don't understand how this works...do I have to get my rifle threaded or something? Will it require a trip to a gunsmith? As I understand it, a muzzle-brake controls the kickback, so if I were doing long distance shooting, I'd want a pretty decent muzzle-brake on there, right?

These are all the accessories I bought:

Side Mount:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS006-44765-2712.html

UTG Mount:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS101-56003-2712.html

Bipod:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BIPOD102-41833-724.html

Scope:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP100-56188-1509.html

*I already have .308 snap-caps - they were the first thing I bought.

In regards to the sight-adjustment tool - I only need that if I plan on using the iron-sights, right? I think I'm gonna go with a scope instead, but thanks for the advice... I need to use the scope because my eyesight sucks...

On the "accessory container" or the steel tube that holds the cleaning kit, you will see a horizontal slot cut into the steel tube. The lip that protudes outward on the gas tube lever will fit perfectly into this slot. This will allow you to open and close this lever with ease.

DANG!!!

I was wondering why that tube was slotted like that! Maybe I should have asked on this forum instead of using the "brute force will fix anything" methodology. And I think that "upward motion" is up and away from the receiver...it's been a while since I took the tube off but I seem to remember that it wasn't a straight up motion.

Viras, I believe Dinzag rents out a tool to thread the barrel it if you are inclined to attaching the muzzle break yourself. The sight adjustment tool is only for using the iron sights so if you are not going to use them much don't bother.

If and when you get that rail let us know if it's a good fit because I've been looking to add a rail system like that myself.

Viras, I believe Dinzag rents out a tool to thread the barrel it if you are inclined to attaching the muzzle break yourself. The sight adjustment tool is only for using the iron sights so if you are not going to use them much don't bother.

If and when you get that rail let us know if it's a good fit because I've been looking to add a rail system like that myself.

What's a Dinzag and where can I find one? Heck yeah I'll do it myself - it's probably way cheaper.

And will do - I should receive the cheaperthandirt.com shipment sometime next week.

Congradulations on your Saiga, and welcome to the forum!

If you live in California it might be especially wise to carefully research the laws before threading the barrel of your rifle, or making any other mod that adds features deemed "evil" like pistol grip, folding stock, hi cap mags, ect...

Congradulations on your Saiga, and welcome to the forum!

If you live in California it might be especially wise to carefully research the laws before threading the barrel of your rifle, or making any other mod that adds features deemed "evil" like pistol grip, folding stock, hi cap mags, ect...

Thanks! I'm gonna keep the stock butt on there, and I'm not gonna be adding a pistol grip. The only permanent feature I want to add is the muzzle brake, which is perfectly legal. The rest of the stuff, like the side mount, UTG mount, etc, are all legal (My bro-in-law is a sheriff and I verified with him that my setup would be OK):

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and

any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

(B) A thumbhole stock.

© A folding or telescoping stock.

(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.

(E) A flash suppressor.

(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more

than 10 rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

I am not sure if anybody already mentioned this but in order to move then small lever (and I remember this from my Russia AK days) you can use cleaning kit cylinder container thingy that holds all of the brushes etc., and came with the rifle, It has a cut out in it, on of them is designed to fit in to the lever and use it to push it up instead of tearing the skin from your fingers. Take a look at that cylinder that holds the cleaning kit that came with it and you'll see what I mean

Idol