Why .308 over 7.62? Honest question, don't kill me.

Not to bash the k31 too badly, but I don't think they were the most accurate bolt actions nor do I think they are necessarily a great choice unless your really into c&r rifles. They are generally accurate, and have good triggers, but finding ammo could be a problem if you don't want to reload. Personally I'd put my M1917 Remington against a k31 anyday as far as accuracy. One good point about the k31 is that they didn't use corrosive ammo so bores are better then average. Plus they are an intresting gun and well made.

The K31 action is a wonderful price of tooling. The ammo is pretty much target grade.

Compare an average K31 shooting the issue ammo versus an average M1917 shooting milspec and see which one does better.

But I digress off topic, so I apologize!

On the orginal post it was Saiga 308 or 7.62x39. For most any hunting, the 308 will give you much better accuracy, and load availability. For general fun, home defense and cheaper shooting, the x39 is a better choce.

Best choice is one of each, or any standard x39 AK.

Edited by texlurch
If you've shot that pop-up target course on the Army ranges that's slightly more realistic.

Not to brag and go on with it, but that's all I've shot on actually as far as marksmanship training(also did shoot houses and various live fire exercises) The only time I've never shot expert or perfect for that matter was in Basic in which we had some really awful M16's that jammed on every 3 or 4 rounds. I've also helped run a range several times and every time a platoon or even a company(usually National Guard) wouldn't show up and we'd have a lot of ammo to burn(turning it back in was a pita). Had a few days where I shot over 600 rounds with my M4(only a few jams, while on burst mostly). 300 meter targets, upright, no problem. Headshots at up to 200 meters no problem. But crypt is right in that I had no idea where on the target I was hitting at 300 meters. Time will tell, but I've got a feeling I'll be ok on iron sights up to 250 meters. I'll make sure I can shoot before I go hunt.

I can hit all 4 300m silouettes on the army pop up range with an m-4 and peeps. In my opinion, the S-308 is not as accurate, mainly because the sights suck. (To me) Hitting an animals vitals is a lot different than hitting the silouette that was modeled after the fattest russian soldier on the planet. Good luck in the search, if you are going to stick with iron sights, pick up a peep sight for the saiga.

One more thing, if you're hunting west of the mountains, you're prolly not going to get the 1000 meter "sniper shots" you soldier boys dream about. I've never had an opportunity to shoot one further than 150m. East of the mountains, they all claim shots are 200+, but the last 5 I've heard of were taken 50-100meters.

One more thing, if you're hunting west of the mountains, you're prolly not going to get the 1000 meter "sniper shots" you soldier boys dream about. I've never had an opportunity to shoot one further than 150m. East of the mountains, they all claim shots are 200+, but the last 5 I've heard of were taken 50-100meters.

I'm not really into the whole long range shooting deal. I'm more interested in shooting for fun, and I'm only interested in hunting animals I can eat. As said before, I'm east of the mountains/in the mountains. I'd have to drive 30 min to reach anything you could actually call a forest. Despite that, I'd be fine with taking out deer at 50-100 meters. In fact, if anything, I've been suggesting on here that I really don't see the need for optics if most of what I shoot at will be in that range. And I will definitely be replacing that cruddy notch sight with a peep/aperture sight. 150 meters? Perfect.

I'm not really into the whole long range shooting deal. I'm more interested in shooting for fun, and I'm only interested in hunting animals I can eat. As said before, I'm east of the mountains/in the mountains. I'd have to drive 30 min to reach anything you could actually call a forest. Despite that, I'd be fine with taking out deer at 50-100 meters. In fact, if anything, I've been suggesting on here that I really don't see the need for optics if most of what I shoot at will be in that range. And I will definitely be replacing that cruddy notch sight with a peep/aperture sight. 150 meters? Perfect.

I used to hunt jsut outside Mt. Rainier Natl forest area with a 30-30 w/ iron sights. If you put a good peep on the S-308, you'd be happy. If you got a scoped S-308, a 20 round mag, a coyote call, and went east, you'd have a blast!