Duracoat- 2nd time- one spots that shines?

Duracoat is great but I put a little two much on in one spot. It didn't really run, but it is kind of

high gloss in just that one spot (about the size of the end of an eraser). I am using Matte Black.

I have attached a photo for reference. When looking down at the buttstock (with the barrel pointed

away from you) the spot is on the right side and about 2 inches from the front.

Is there an easy way to reduce the gloss in just that one spot?

louielouie

post-5881-1183407145_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Kitty sticker?

J/K, I would try a little bit of scotchbrite or steel wool on the spot, just enough to break the gloss.

Ha!!! :lolol:

If neither of those work, try light sanding and re-painting. Cover with light coats about 5-10 minutes apart. Make sure you blend in with the surrounding area. Sometimes I'll mix a batch of touch up paint just a tad light on hardner so that it's nice and flat. Better to be a little flat than a little shiny.

Don't be afraid to waste a little paint, most of my mixing problems have come when I've tried to mix a very small batch of paint - usually trying not to waste paint and I end up creating a bigger problem.

For small batches I use 1 cc syringes to measure out the paint and hardner.

Warming up your paint and/or the part will flatten out the color as well.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by Montana3gunner
Hello Kitty sticker?

J/K, I would try a little bit of scotchbrite or steel wool on the spot, just enough to break the gloss.

If neither of those work, try light sanding and re-painting. Cover with light coats about 5-10 minutes apart. Make sure you blend in with the surrounding area. Sometimes I'll mix a batch of touch up paint just a tad light on hardner so that it's nice and flat. Better to be a little flat than a little shiny.

Don't be afraid to waste a little paint, most of my mixing problems have come when I've tried to mix a very small batch of paint - usually trying not to waste paint and I end up creating a bigger problem.

I finally got up the courage to try one last time and with the small amount of DuraCoat that I had left.

I sanded and cleaned just the areas that needed it. I did 2 coats of almost a fine mist of paint in about 15 minutes.

It turned out almost perfect and I am stopping with that.

I will post some photos as soon as I have them.

Thanks to all,

louielouie

Hello Kitty sticker?

I finally got up the courage to try one last time and with the small amount of DuraCoat that I had left.

I sanded and cleaned just the areas that needed it. I did 2 coats of almost a fine mist of paint in about 15 minutes.

It turned out almost perfect and I am stopping with that.

I will post some photos as soon as I have them.

Thanks to all,

louielouie

Fantastic! :super: