Finishing Suggestions

This is a bit more frivolous than the Gun Kote vs Krylon debate, but I'm artistically challenged and looking for some suggestions for the finishing step (which I haven't gotten to yet!). This will be a Saiga 7.62x39 converted with a Romanian wire folder, 30-round magazine and SAW-style pistol grip.

Looking around for some "traditional" ideas, it looks like there are really only two choices: all black, or black with red/brown furniture. If it weren't for the wire stock, I'd probably lean toward the black/brown look, but the stock can't be brown, and that sorta ruins the slick, traditional look. I have nothing against black, and if I can't come up with anything better that's what I'll probably do.

Still, in a SHTF situation wouldn't camo be better? I can't find any examples of camo-pattern Kalashnikovs, so (1) I can't get a good feel for how it might look, and (2) I'm wondering if there's some unwritten rule against that. :D

If I were artistic, I might come up with something clever like... I dunno... some cool two-tone effect in battleship gray and navy blue. But I'm not, so if I tried I'd probably end up with the "Don't Ask Don't Tell Kalashnikov" with purple furniture and pink mags. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any cool ideas, or else any awesome AK pictures to share?

--Len.

Send a PM to devin_c1.

He does awesome finish work....

LB - I would check out the AR15.com thread on refinishing. At the top of the page is the tacked photo thread, that has all kinds of ideas. There is enough info on that site to get you started as a gun refinisher, that is where I started!:

AR15.com refinishing site

I post under the same name there, so you can see some of my camo jobs. This is the last project I did, a 6.5 Grendal in ACU:

DSC02342.jpg

I don't see why you couldn't do any of those color combos and/or camos which are shown on the AR15 site, on an AK.

As soon as my Saiga gets a new brake...I have a camo planned for it. Probably sometime in August, will post here when done.

Floourecent 4 color camo.....for a comp gun. I know youve seen how some of them look, why not appeal to them and triple the fee for a glow in the dark job (tint is REAL expensive, I know).....yada yada.........why should it only be anschutz, and only be battleship camo? come on now.....

the paint would be louder than the gun!!!! how could you reisist that???????

Floourecent 4 color camo.....for a comp gun. I know youve seen how some of them look, why not appeal to them and triple the fee for a glow in the dark job (tint is REAL expensive, I know).....yada yada.........why should it only be anschutz, and only be battleship camo? come on now.....

the paint would be louder than the gun!!!! how could you reisist that???????

I say, why not? I'd love to do a project in Flourecent camo! I use Duracoat and one of the great things about it is the endless options of colors. You can do traditional camo patterns in different colors...or completely make up your own patterns. It's only limited by your imagination. I've got one friend who is asking for flames..we're discussing both camo colors and something a little wilder. I'm really looking forward to working on that project.

Also, I am seeing more graphics (skulls, various insignias, etc.) but I think the natural progression would be other artwork similar to the type of stuff someone would get in a tatoo... I can imagine everything from WWII airplane art to barbed wire/tribal stuff to sponsors/vendor names.

I did a Mini-14 in a night urban camo...I used a digital pattern but added blue to the pattern. I just thought it would look cooler.

DSC01682.jpg

I did this gun in a flectar pattern but with with desert colors and less pattern, kind of shooting for WWII German desert camo look.

DSC01441.jpg

This was another skull pattern I did:

DSC02055.jpg

:super: Awesome work dude! :super::up:

Thanks!

Leonard, if you want to go with more of a two-tone - (receiver/barrel in one color, furnature in another) I like either the Black/OD green (similar to the pic you posted) or Black/Khaki or Dark Earth.

I've been using Duracoat's Sweedish K for my OD - it's a little darker with a hint of brown. People have really liked it.

It is kind of surprising to me that you don't see many camo AKs, as opposed to ARs where camos and/or colors are becoming more and more popular. I wonder why that is?

In addition to the photo thread on this site, the AR15.com refinishing site, there is also the AR15.com pic thread speciifcally for AK varients. I should have mentioned that earlier. -

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=78952

Edited by Montana3gunner