Sling Rings on Saiga-12

OK, my Saiga-12 is stock early 22" barrel. No hold-down, no modifications other than a red dot sight on the Belarus rail.

I want to add a sling to it for a lot of reasons but especially since I think my forthcoming purchase of one of Mike's drums will add a lot of weight. I have an almost perfect black leather sling, with one problem -- the sling is maybe 1/8 of an inch too wide for the little narrow rings on the Saiga. I cannot alter the sling; it is sewn leather, and trying to trim it down will make it look crappy. I tried removing the rings and bending them, but it seems they are high tensile steel (leave that to the Russians!.) So, I need to replace them.

Does anyone know where any are available?

I fired about 100 rounds through it, including non-magnum slugs. The gas port was set to 1, for light loads. The last three magazines had one failure to properly eject. Hopefully, that has been fixed by cleaning and lubrication, but I had bought into the AK myth that AK-designs never jam or fail to eject. Could it have been the ammunition, or am I missing something?

Also, some planned modifications and questions: will having the barrel cut to 19" badly affect the pellet spread? Is there a bolt hold-open modification available? It seems this web site has been out of stock of the parts ever since I can remember. Finally, is there an easy to install pistol grip?

Thanks, all.

Lynn K. Circle

I fired about 100 rounds through it, including non-magnum slugs. The gas port was set to 1, for light loads. The last three magazines had one failure to properly eject. Hopefully, that has been fixed by cleaning and lubrication, but I had bought into the AK myth that AK-designs never jam or fail to eject. Could it have been the ammunition, or am I missing something?

"1" is for heavy loads, not light ones.

"1" is for heavy loads, not light ones.

I think I mistated the setting. The "1" is about at the 2:00 position; the "2" is next to the detent. The reason called this the "light load" position is that I looked at the shape of the gas cylinder lock. I figured the angle is to admit more gas, and it is down (which I assume to be open) when the numbers are as described.

Is this the light or the heavy load position? Am I right or wrong? The instruction book which came with my Saiga is really the pits.