So here is a question, how much machining do you have to do to a foreign part to have it considered to be a domestic part. I've been reading up on modifications of existing parts and have seen that after machining the parts they "magically" become a domestic parts.

So at what point does the part become "domestic"? 5%, 15%, 75% machining

Thanks

MD

That is in fact, correct...but....

The steel for US made parts comes from somewhere, not necessarily stateside. A piece of Chinese steel becomes a "US Made Part" in a factory in the US.

I would say, however, that you cannot "modify" an existing foreign part into US made status.

Sounds good guys...

How would I prove I made a part;

well as long as it ain't a receiver I'm modifying, I do have permission from the local shop teacher to use the machinery at the school... No I'm not talking about doing a parts kit build, just using the lathe.

Plus I live in a farming area where a lot of things are manufactured, so quite a few families here do have small machine shops... neighbor has mills and a lathe, other neighbor does metal fab, cutting and welding.

So I guess I would have several witnesses to prove I made the part or they made the part.

Edited by MD_Willington

I think the general criteria is that you can't mod a piece into something that does the exact same thing.

IE you can't mod a grip into a grip. You could use a buttstock as material to make a grip.

Of course you CAN do it legally (as long as it's not into an NFA config), it just wouldn't count for US parts compliance.