S-308 WOODEN FORE GRIP

Hello. Does anybody know where to find a wooden foregrip for my S-308? My plastic one broke at the retaining screw at the front of the receiver 1st time out. Looking to replace it with wood. I already have a nice checkered Hungarian wooden pistol grip. Thanks. GARY

You can make them yourself if you have access to a table saw and drill press with a set of forstner bits. I've made a pair of them in curly maple for myself and they take about 4 hours or so to craft from start to finish (before venting and other add ons to the process). It's a good project in the dead of winter or the blazing heat of summer. I don't think my work is up to BRG3's standards, but the price was right considering I had all the wood just sitting around my shop. The toughest part is getting the fit on the front over the "gas block" (I suppose BRG3 wouldn't share any secrets he has...?). You need to file out a taper that follows the contours of that, and then carve in some channels on the bottom to clear the "pins" that keep the stock plastic handguard on.

Or, you could probably get it done faster if you spring for one of Dinzag's bolt on lower handguard retainers. Then you could use any wood lower handguard that you find for an AK, or build one yourself. In looking them over, the standard AK lower handguard is less complicated than the saiga one, as far as mounting goes.

I'm working on an RPK style stock for my 16 in saiga in African purpleheart. Should look just like a plum rpk stock (but cooler) once it's done. On top, I'm thinking I'll use a metal vented top handguard. Should be done whenever I get back to it...

Good luck...

There aren't really any secrets to making the front end. Just takes work and tools. That's why I charge more for rifle handguards than shotgun handguards, which are attached in the front with a screw.

I use the following tools:

Hand drill with forstner bit

Vertical milling machine with flat and ball end mills

Special end-mill for machining a certain kind of slot - No one made exactly what I needed, so I made my own

I do have one bit of advice to share - if you're venting your homemade handguard, vent it while it's a block. Much, much, much easier than venting a complete handguard. That's why I can add vents as a $20 option while other folks ask $40 for the job - because they're venting a complete handguard, which takes more work and care to mount, mark, and machine.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

I'm not really looking for anything special or hi $, & I haven't done any woodworking since high school. Really looking for a factory take off. As a matter of fact the foregrip on the new Saiga 308 ver 2 would be perfect. Who might have one? The importer? GARY N4KVE.

Edited by N4KVE