WTK: How to remove pin for mag release

After a buying spree over the past couple years, I'm now getting back to all my basic conversions for upgrades. I have an old Saiga 12 I picked up in '97 that I want to replace the magazine release lever. I've got the newer release and was needing to know how to remove the pin. I have tried to simply knock it out with a punch... BUT IT IS IN THERE. I kept hitting it harder until my gut told me to post an inquiry before hitting it any harder.

My guess is that it is either (1) a very tight fit, or (2) has a spring that locks it in. FYI - my release lever is about 1/2 the length of the newer ones.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by RDSWriter
After a buying spree over the past couple years, I'm now getting back to all my basic conversions for upgrades. I have an old Saiga 12 I picked up in '97 that I want to replace the magazine release lever. I've got the newer release and was needing to know how to remove the pin. I have tried to simply knock it out with a punch... BUT IT IS IN THERE. I kept hitting it harder until my gut told me to post an inquiry before hitting it any harder.

My guess is that it is either (1) a very tight fit, or (2) has a spring that locks it in. FYI - my release lever is about 1/2 the length of the newer ones.

Thanks for any help.

I believe that pin is peened in, so you might want to take a punch either much smaller than the pin or the exact size of the hole and pound it through. Yes, the tension of the spring is probably contributing to the tightness of it.

Anyone here removed one? I bought a complete parts kit that was taken from an existing S12. The pin didn't looked peened... but to be honest, it's been a while since I looked at it. Any advice on not losing the spring, et cetera is appreciated.

FYI - If you're wondering why anyone would part out an S12....... apparently there was a OMFG moment in the SBS conversion which pretty much ruined the gun (from what I understand). They guy really didn't talk about - or want to talk about - why he was parting it out.

Edited by RDSWriter

I have taken a few out. It is a SERIOUS pain in the ass to reinstall the lever. You'll need to make a slave pin to hold it together while you reinstall the pin. There are two styles of springs. One is a standard coil spring like you would find in a ball point pen, with a base plate on the other end. The other style is just like a standard AK-47 mag release spring. Both suck to reinstall.

You will be seriously pissed off by the time you get that thing back together.

Tony

I have taken a few out. It is a SERIOUS pain in the ass to reinstall the lever. You'll need to make a slave pin to hold it together while you reinstall the pin. There are two styles of springs. One is a standard coil spring like you would find in a ball point pen, with a base plate on the other end. The other style is just like a standard AK-47 mag release spring. Both suck to reinstall.

Tony

Oh Joy! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up Tony.

Edited by RDSWriter

Tony

I've replaced a couple, and like he says, it aint real fun (unless you've got 3 hands).