Hi,

I am about to buy my first Saiga. I was looking for some cheap ammo to burn up. I found some Czech 1980 issue white tip target, 122 grain lead core for $79 per 1040 rds. No sales tax or shipping. What do you guys think about this ammo? Thanks for the help...Chuck

Edited by Chuck

Never tried the Czech ammo. Have been using Barnaul soft points in the Saigas and fairly well pleased. It seems to leave a lot less residue than Wolf which is pretty dirty. Use Cheetah in my SAM-7. It leaves little residue and is brass cased. It prices out at $144 for a case of 1440 rds plus shipping from Salt Lake City, UT. The Barnaul is obtained from Midway at $80.00 per 1000rd plus Shipping.

Hi Aka,

Thanks for the tip. It looks like even at the higher costs the Barnaul ammo would be better. Midway is out of stock right now but I will keep an eye on their website. My eyesight not being what it used to be, which would be a better way to go, the Krebs peep sight or a red dot scope?....Thanks...Chuck

I called j&G one time and shipping is app. $20. the nippled ammo I've seen is silver bear "match" ammo. it has a nipple on the point. maybe some people are calling sp's nippled ammo - idonno?

silver bear's clean good ammo. I preffer wolf, cheap and available! I buy it by the case so I have the freedom of going when the breeze takes me. 'bout four trips for me!

iv been reading this form for a while but just figured out how to post (my university's email was filtering out confermation) but iv had this idea for a while. why not have some sort of an ammo review post/ page. users could post reluts they got with difrent brands of ammo. this would avoid the "what kind of ammo is best" post every 10 days.

i shoot mostly wolf FMJ (because im poor). there is a shop near me that sells the stuf for 2 bucks for a box of 20. 10 cents a round is prety close to what i would pay for bulk with shipping, but i can buy it by the box. i get prety good results from it too. with the FMJ, i can shoot 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards prety consitantly with iron sights. with hollow points, i get much worse acuracy, up to 3 or 4 inch groups at 50 yards. a friend of mine can shoot HP with almost the accuracy of FMJ through his sk, so maybe my rifel is just picky. however wolf is realy dirty. they use some kind of lacker to seal them and it can make a mess in the reciver.

Several of my buddies got sks's and saiga 7.62x39's for a hunting trip we had a couple of weeks ago. We bought almost 2000 rds to use amongst ourselves. I did a bit of research before I bought the ammo. Here's what I found...

J&G Saless

154gr wolf sp 1000rds $90 + shipping from AZ

http://catalog.jgsales.com/

Outdoor marksman

154gr wolf sp 1000rds $89+ shipping $31.39=120.39

sportsman's guide

154 gr wolf sp (2)500rds $89.94+13.98 shipping=103.92

aimsurplus

123gr silver bear hp effect 1000rds $89+18 = 107

ammoman.com

154 gr wolf sp 1000rds $119 shipped

ammunitionstore.com

154gr wolf sp 1000rds $85+27.51=112.51

124gr sliver bear hp effect 1000rds 79.95+27.51=107.46

cheaperthandirt.com

154gr wolf sp 1000rds 109.94+tax 9.07=119.01

124gr silver bear match hp effect 1000rds 99.50+ tax 8.21=107.71

This is a price for pickup. they charge $3 handling fee and shipping on top of that otherwise...

floridagunworks.com

not worth mentioning, but they do have barnaul pretty cheap

floridaammotraders.com

123gr barnaul sp 1000rds 110+shipping?

hunterelite.com

124gr silver bear hp effect 1.99/20 rd box

The silver Bear HP effect is the "Nipple effect" ammo. It is supposed to be "Match grade". I've read that it is better than wolf, but most agree "Match Grade" is a bit of an overstatement. The "nipple effect" is an air gap on the end of the bullet that makes it perform like a hollow point, but has increased accuracy because the nipple covers the hole.

We ended up buying 1 500 rd box of wolf 154gr soft point and 2-640 rd boxes of wolf 122gr hollow point from sportsman's guide. It was a total of $130 shipped. That is for 1780 rds. We didn't shoot it all up, but had a lot of fun trying.

All I can compare is the wolf 154 gr sp and the wolf 122 gr hp. I think I like the 122gr hp better. It seems to have more energy. It should work well on game, as the hollow point is not a true hollow point... It is simply an air gap in the end. In other words, it doesn't make the bullet expand, it makes it tumble inside of a victim, er animal. :rolleyes:

Both seemed to shoot well out of the Saiga, and SKS for that matter.

PS. Shipping prices are to East Texas.

Edited by welbo