Hi,

Im getting ready to do my first 12 conversion, my 762 went well. I saw Cobras conversion(Very NIce) but I am having trouble with the trigger gaurd. What are the steps for a basic trigger gaurd install???? Thanks again.

Jroberts

Edited by Jroberts1968

Pretty much depends on what kind of guard you plan to use/re-use. The placement of the pistol grip will pretty much set the tone for where your trigger guard will fit. You can get a virgin AK trigger guard without (mag catch) from K VAR. Seat the back of the guard under and against the pistol grip, and mark the location for the four front rivits (this allows you to retain and use the factory mag catch). Drill holes and rivit in place (don't forget to install the safety lever stop plate between the receiver and guard).

You can also screw or spot weld the guard in place, re-use the original, Tromix, or whatever. A little more info on what your looking to do and I can give you a little better advise specific to your needs.

You can get a virgin AK trigger guard without (mag catch) from K VAR. Seat the back of the guard under and against the pistol grip, and mark the location for the four front rivits (this allows you to retain and use the factory mag catch). Drill holes and rivit in place (don't forget to install the safety lever stop plate between the receiver and guard).

I find this confusing. If you do this, you'll need to remove the whole factory Saiga mag catch assembly (which will leave you the 4 holes to mount the new military trigger guard in. No need to mark anything, just bolt/rivet/attach the new one in place.

Edited by nalioth
You can get a virgin AK trigger guard without (mag catch) from K VAR. Seat the back of the guard under and against the pistol grip, and mark the location for the four front rivits (this allows you to retain and use the factory mag catch). Drill holes and rivit in place (don't forget to install the safety lever stop plate between the receiver and guard).

I find this confusing. If you do this, you'll need to remove the whole factory Saiga mag catch assembly (which will leave you the 4 holes to mount the new military trigger guard in. No need to mark anything, just bolt/rivet/attach the new one in place.

I would like to reuse the old trigger gaurd if possible, If need be for a better result I can buy a new one. SO what do you recomend?

I've also seen folks just stick the end of the factory trigger guard under the mag release and rivet/attach the end under the pistol grip. This can work, because the trigger guard is not under any load.

Edited by nalioth

Just stopped in again, a picture's worth a thousand words.......check out the picture thread in the s12 section and I think it might clear things up. In any case, there's no need to mess ith the factory mag catch, in most cases the guard just stops at it.

the only word of warning I have is if you weld it in place, be aware that too much heat around the mag catch spring can soften it up and remove tension. Also, most who use the AK guard slant cut the front for easy access to the catch lever.