Barrel shortening and gas port questions

I've been gathering information on shortening barrels on Saiga 12's, but I would like to get some feed back if possible. I am going to SBS my S12 soon, but am not quite sure how to get there from here.

I'm thinking I'd like to go about 14 inches, with the standard gas block position. I've read about large, single hole gas ports, and multilple small ports. What are the pros and cons? For this setup, what sizes/types have proven to be reliable?

Is the standard gas valve OK, or is a new valve in order, too?

If this setup is not recomended, could someone recomend a reliable setup?

Thanks..

Friend. . .AVOID ANYONE who will suggest you put LARGER gas ports to accomplish a SBS barrel as opposed to the addition more of the factory sized ports. Some 'smiths have gone the larger port route only to have customers end up with shavings of plastic and lead in the gas chamber, which leads to many various problems, as you might imagine. However, the addition of additional factory-sized ports would have avoided that rather predictable problem. Choose a 'smith wisely.

• 5 weeks later...

Err, anyone? It seems like this is a regular topic here, why is there so little actual information?

Obviously, I don't want to wait until 2009 to send it to Tromix. Yeah, there are other companies I could send it to; but I have a pretty decent shop and would like to do this myself.

Nobody here has shortened a barrel successfully (and wants to talk about it)?

Well, the number of people that have done a successful SBS here can be counted on one hand, with a few fingers left over. As far as I know, all of them are in the business of converting Saigas so it's not suprising that you're not getting the answers you want.

I don't know if you can do a 14" without moving the gas block. I do know that Tony moves it for his 10" model. These are his bread and butter, though, so I wouldn't expect him to write a DIY tutorial on the subject.