That is designed to reduce the amount of a Mosin owners bank account.

That particular item does not work as a muzzle brake or a flash hider, but it does make a great boat anchor. Please do not think that is a typical AK74 type muzzle brake, because those work excellently.

What you linked to is just a pretty bauble that fits on the end of your mosin/saiga/ak74/akm/etc. Neat to look at, does nothing.

The recoil pad you mention will fix you right up.

Edited by nalioth
that and well, i know my romak that has a break like that on it is substainally louder than my non break saiga x39
scoutjoe, not sure if you've looked at ak74 style brakes, but the good ones follow the soviet design pattern. These are hollow (expansion chamber) with specially designed vents in the exit face to dissipate the flash.

This particular brake that was linked in the OP is nothing but a piece of stock bored out and milled to appear like an AK74 brake. The inline vent holes on the top give it away.

BAD DESIGN:

moscomp.jpg

Original Design:

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF010.jpg

You can see the staggered vent holes on these brakes. These were designed to keep the barrel down during full auto fire of the AK74. You can also see the expansion chamber to let some of the powder burn off inside. You can get USA made copies of these from http://www.ak-103.com or http://www.globaltrades.com

These DO reduce recoil in the AK and they can be used on Saigas with 14x1LH threads (standard AKM thread) with an adaptor.

Nothing you can buy for under $20 is gonna tame your Mosin from the muzzle end.

Edited by nalioth