Tikka .308 in Multicam

I know this isn't a Saiga, but I wanted to show my Saiga peeps! Just finished this project - a Tikka .308 with Leupold Mark 4 LR/T scope in Multicam. Used Duracoat - hand mixed the colors.

Next up, a DSA FAL in Afghan camo for a friend, then another friends AK and my Saiga .308 in a camo.. Will post the Saiga pics when I get it done.

DSC02672.jpg

DSC02669.jpg

DSC02671.jpg

DSC02675.jpg

Looks nice, excellent job!

This being the tech section, whats your method? Maybe some before, during, and after pics?

Post pics of the FAL too if you get any.

Good stuff.

Thanks ArcFault!

I wonder...why do you see SO many camo'd ARs and bolt guns, but very few AKs??!! This has perplexed me for some time. I'll be camo-ing my Saiga soon. I'd be interested in seeing others' camo'd AK/Saigas/etc.

I learned a lot from the AR15 refinishing site. I would consider Multicam to be the holy grail of gun camo. THere is a lot going on with that pattern. To do it right, you've got to not only hand mix colors, but get the pattern consistancy right, and also blend colors. No offense to anyone, but you see a lot of multi-cam jobs that don't have all of those elements. I don't think I got them all down either. Having said that, it is an amazingly effective camo. It goes from woodland to grassy plains to barren/rocky areas better than any camo I've personally seen.

Here's the basics on how-to:

The first color is the small light blotches. You spray that color in a few spots and then apply templates (basically stickers) over that color. Then spray the brown, apply stickers. Next is the pinkish/brown colors - spray, apply templates. etc etc. this is called using "male" templates. there are 9 different colors on that gun!

So, the process is basically opposite of what most people think. You're applying stickers over the paint you want to keep, as opposed to using a pattern which is cut out (forming a pattern hole..for lack of a better word) and spraying through that to create a camo pattern. this is called using "female" templates.

To be honest, after you pull off the male templates, there's always some "oh shit" moments when you realize you've got some touch up to do. Also, you look at the pattern and see areas that need more of one color or another. this is when you use female templates..to touch up.

Here's the AR15.com site on gun refinishing. It's got more info than you'd ever need on gun refinishing:

AR15 refinishing site

• 3 weeks later...
Looks nice, excellent job!

This being the tech section, whats your method? Maybe some before, during, and after pics?

Post pics of the FAL too if you get any.

Good stuff.

Thanks ArcFault!

I wonder...why do you see SO many camo'd ARs and bolt guns, but very few AKs??!! This has perplexed me for some time. I'll be camo-ing my Saiga soon. I'd be interested in seeing others' camo'd AK/Saigas/etc.

I learned a lot from the AR15 refinishing site. I would consider Multicam to be the holy grail of gun camo. THere is a lot going on with that pattern. To do it right, you've got to not only hand mix colors, but get the pattern consistancy right, and also blend colors. No offense to anyone, but you see a lot of multi-cam jobs that don't have all of those elements. I don't think I got them all down either. Having said that, it is an amazingly effective camo. It goes from woodland to grassy plains to barren/rocky areas better than any camo I've personally seen.

Here's the basics on how-to:

The first color is the small light blotches. You spray that color in a few spots and then apply templates (basically stickers) over that color. Then spray the brown, apply stickers. Next is the pinkish/brown colors - spray, apply templates. etc etc. this is called using "male" templates. there are 9 different colors on that gun!

So, the process is basically opposite of what most people think. You're applying stickers over the paint you want to keep, as opposed to using a pattern which is cut out (forming a pattern hole..for lack of a better word) and spraying through that to create a camo pattern. this is called using "female" templates.

To be honest, after you pull off the male templates, there's always some "oh shit" moments when you realize you've got some touch up to do. Also, you look at the pattern and see areas that need more of one color or another. this is when you use female templates..to touch up.

Here's the AR15.com site on gun refinishing. It's got more info than you'd ever need on gun refinishing:

AR15 refinishing site

Here you go Arcfault - here's the FAL -

DSC01133.jpg

DSC01134.jpg