Saiga stock removal

Have the 7.62x39 rifle.I bought the skeletonized Russian stock to replace the monte carlo stock.I have ,after a great deal of effort removed the screws,but am still unable to loosen the stock.Even with the use of a rubber mallet,the stock will not budge.Is there something other than the top and bottom screws that hold the stock on?I really don't want to damage the original stock if I can avoid it.

Thank you.

I have a 12, haven't held an x39.....but I know on the 12, there's 1 screw on the bottom and 2 screws on top - one of them is hiding under the recoil spring retainer (I can't think of what it's called right now) It took me a while to find that. Check that out, and if you've already got that one.......

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in, but I maybe this'll help you.

Edited by BlackBear

I recently undertook the same project and replaced the sporter stock with a factory skeletonized stock. Nalioth is correct, there is a third screw hiding under the rear of the recoil spring. With all three screws removed, the stock should come off with only minimal persuasion.

You noted that it took a lot of effort to remove the screws. If you have access to a cordless impact driver, they work great for both removing and driving the screws. Once the old stock is removed, simply tap the new one in until it is fully seated, pre-drill the holes (I used a self-centering bit just slightly smaller than the thread diameter, as the screws will not drive properly if the hole is just barely larger than the diameter of the screw shank), and drive the new screws. Again, a cordless impact driver makes driving the screws really easy and reduces the likelihood of damaging the screw slot. As far as I can tell, only two screws are used to attach the skeletonized stock (part of the stock material covers the screw hole near the trigger guard). If anyone knows if a third is required, please let me know. Anyway, I used the two screws I could find a place for with the new stock and it seems rock solid.

I have a 12, haven't held an x39.....but I know on the 12, there's 1 screw on the bottom and 2 screws on top - one of them is hiding under the recoil spring retainer (I can't think of what it's called right now) It took me a while to find that. Check that out, and if you've already got that one.......

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in, but I maybe this'll help you.

This is exactly the info I needed.Many thanks!

I recently undertook the same project and replaced the sporter stock with a factory skeletonized stock. Nalioth is correct, there is a third screw hiding under the rear of the recoil spring. With all three screws removed, the stock should come off with only minimal persuasion.

You noted that it took a lot of effort to remove the screws. If you have access to a cordless impact driver, they work great for both removing and driving the screws. Once the old stock is removed, simply tap the new one in until it is fully seated, pre-drill the holes (I used a self-centering bit just slightly smaller than the thread diameter, as the screws will not drive properly if the hole is just barely larger than the diameter of the screw shank), and drive the new screws. Again, a cordless impact driver makes driving the screws really easy and reduces the likelihood of damaging the screw slot. As far as I can tell, only two screws are used to attach the skeletonized stock (part of the stock material covers the screw hole near the trigger guard). If anyone knows if a third is required, please let me know. Anyway, I used the two screws I could find a place for with the new stock and it seems rock solid.

I did have to use the impact driver on the most difficult screw.Looks to me as well that only 2 screws are required for the replacement stock.Stock was well worth the money.The rifle now looks and handles much better.Thanks for your assistance!

• 2 weeks later...
Trust me, it will be. I think within three days of joining I had it as #1 on SpeedDial, and within a few weeks I was a contributor.

Welcome aboard!

It was that trail of honey I left....brought ya right in :angel:

Trust me, it will be. I think within three days of joining I had it as #1 on SpeedDial, and within a few weeks I was a contributor.

Welcome aboard!

It was that trail of honey I left....brought ya right in :angel:

That, and I thought "Saiga" was Russian for "pic-a-nic" baskets.