Expert advice on front site base needed

I got my 7.62 saiga sporter the other day and I went out to shoot it. When I got it I thought the fsb looked off so I took it to the range to find out for sure. It is canted counter-clockwise on the barrel (left) and consequently shoots to the right. At 25 yards its in the bullseye but right, at 50 yards its off significantly, at 100 it hits the top right portion of a human sized paper target.

This is my fsb https://post.craigslist.org/manage/455663022/vtf92

And I have this link to work with http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

I notice the fsb in the directions and the one on my gun look very different.

Lastly, can I do this? I have skills with tools. I have a powerful drill, bits, hammers, files, what else? I'll get a dremel if I have to.

You can do it. It is not all that unusual for the Saiga 7.62 to have a canted FSB. Maybe Ivan at Izhmash hit the Stoli early that day. Your FSB has the sleeve around the front of the barrel. I don't think it would change the mathod to fix your problem.

Edited by tritium

I believe I have heard Tony Rumore say you can fix a cant on a Saiga without having to knock the pins out. You may be able to just give it a good whack with a BFH. You may want to check with him on that first if he has time.

I had that same problem with my Mak-90 and fixed it using the instructions you linked to above.

Just take a large dead blow hammer and slam the shit out of the FSB in the direction you want it to go. Usually you can get it to move. The cross pins don't really have much rotational control on the FSB, so there is really no need to take them out. If the FSB moves easily, then you'll want to add some Locktite #290 (wicking grade) to it after you have it lined up.

If you can't get it to move, try heating it up with a torch and hitting it some more. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to knock the pins out and press the FSB off with a hydralic press, realign it and press it back on.

Tony

Just take a large dead blow hammer and slam the shit out of the FSB in the direction you want it to go. Usually you can get it to move. The cross pins don't really have much rotational control on the FSB, so there is really no need to take them out. If the FSB moves easily, then you'll want to add some Locktite #290 (wicking grade) to it after you have it lined up.

If you can't get it to move, try heating it up with a torch and hitting it some more. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to knock the pins out and press the FSB off with a hydralic press, realign it and press it back on.

Tony

OK. I layed it down so that the receiver was flush against a piece of wood and would inhibit rotation. Then I put the end of the barrel against a triangular piece of wood. Then I bit the shit out of the fsb with a sledge hammer. Results...it is still mildly pointing to the left, but this "site adjustment tool" I keep hearing about should put the pointer where I need it, the U shaped front site part is over enough at this point. Thanks all.

Cool. I am paranoid probably, but what are the chances I damaged the barrel by hitting it. I just fired off 4 rounds and they all shot fine, no abrasion present on the inside of the barrel. How bad would you have to mangle an ak barrel before it mattered and would cause harm to gun or person shooting it.

Sorry to spoil the panties party, but if the front sight is the one on the picture on the link

I dont think he has any pins on it, is hold by the dimples on each side on the

FSB

More info, ask red jacket about them, he have deal with few on those ones

and my .223 came like that, my 7.62x39 came out worst, half of pin on the

block and the holes on the block were not drill all the way.

I mean last 2 guns I just got.

Edited by vjor

panty party? :unsure:

Funny vjor.

I noticed the dimples. Mine are not like that. I was thinking maybe the dimples were where it was pressed onto the sleeve maybe. Wierd. Another fine example of how there are so many different varieties of Saigas out there.

To this date, I have still not been able to find anyone who has a 410 like mine with the solid fixed sight rib on the gas tube and no rear sight. :unsure: