Saiga 12 and Saiga .308...ready to convert...but

This is a great forum (I'm from the Black Rifle forum) and have been reading all of your posts concerning conversions and Saigas. I've got a price quote from Will and Red Jacket, $300 per weapon for parts and labor on a standard conversion, but of course...I have questions.

For the Saiga 12. I like the russian made pistol grip folding stock. If I read the threads right, my Saiga 12 (19" with exteranally threaded barrel) has 13 foreign parts. If I add this stock (available through Gunbroker.com, Copes, etc) will I add 2 parts or 1???

I know many of you will suggest that I convert it myself, but I'm a bit of a type A perfectionist and would pay Will to do this for the sake of it coming out right. But, I like the russian pistol grip/folding stock combo, and think I can replace enough parts to get the count right and keep it under $300.

SO, anyone go with this setup?...and what US parts did you use?

1. I figure, forward handguard can be replaced with a US made handguard = 1

2. I can install a US made flash hider/compensator = 1

3. US made magazine would take care of the rest (body, follower,floor plate) = 3

Thoughts please!...and thank you.

This is a great forum (I'm from the Black Rifle forum) and have been reading all of your posts concerning conversions and Saigas. I've got a price quote from Will and Red Jacket, $300 per weapon for parts and labor on a standard conversion, but of course...I have questions.

For the Saiga 12. I like the russian made pistol grip folding stock. If I read the threads right, my Saiga 12 (19" with exteranally threaded barrel) has 13 foreign parts. If I add this stock (available through Gunbroker.com, Copes, etc) will I add 2 parts or 1???

I know many of you will suggest that I convert it myself, but I'm a bit of a type A perfectionist and would pay Will to do this for the sake of it coming out right. But, I like the russian pistol grip/folding stock combo, and think I can replace enough parts to get the count right and keep it under $300.

SO, anyone go with this setup?...and what US parts did you use?

1. I figure, forward handguard can be replaced with a US made handguard = 1

2. I can install a US made flash hider/compensator = 1

3. US made magazine would take care of the rest (body, follower,floor plate) = 3

Thoughts please!...and thank you.

Come on guys...ANYBODY!

The real issue is that as soon as you modify the weapon, things get interesting. . .

In the Tech Section, pinned at the top are topics that deal w/ both the shotguns and rifles, and parts counts. Each thread explores various scenarios and how the parts thing works. The russian-made, folding stocks make things interesting.

If you install that combo, you have raised the parts count to 14 (with the addition of the pistol grip). You're replacing a Russian buttstock with another Russian part, so you still need to replace at least 4 parts to be compliant. The handguard and AGP mags get you to compliance (4 parts). At that point, you can not legally use your 5 round factory mag anymore.

If you add a flash hider, then you've increased your parts count to 15. If you add a US flash hider, then you're still good (15 parts, 5 US). If it's foreign made, you're back to 11 foreign parts and you'll need one more for compliance. A gas piston or parts in the FCG are your only options at that point.

Jim

Edited by Navy87Guy
If you install that combo, you have raised the parts count to 14 (with the addition of the pistol grip). You're replacing a Russian buttstock with another Russian part, so you still need to replace at least 4 parts to be compliant. The handguard and AGP mags get you to compliance (4 parts). At that point, you can not legally use your 5 round factory mag anymore.

If you add a flash hider, then you've increased your parts count to 15. If you add a US flash hider, then you're still good (15 parts, 5 US). If it's foreign made, you're back to 11 foreign parts and you'll need one more for compliance. A gas piston or parts in the FCG are your only options at that point.

Jim

Thanks guys. After doing some research, I decided to retain the current FCG and location. I picked up the ACE pistol grip/folding stock combo and I've got a tromix shark brake enroute. With the use of U.S. made mags...I'm good. I want to be able to revert back to the original weapon configuration if necessary and although more costly, this gives me that flexibility. If this works well for the 12, I'll do the same for the .308.