I just purchased an AAR Saiga 7.62 and the more i read about these rifles the more I like.

I am in California and we have some very screwy laws that I know most of you don't have to worry about...

I am wondering if the Saiga-12 can legally be brought into CA?

Anybody in the bay area that has one?

THX

Edited by Wyatt
You've got 12276 A 1 (under assault weapons and .50BMG), which bans "All AK series including but NOT limited to..." the Saiga could, conceivably, fall under this definition. But even if it doesn't, it's still moot, as the Saiga also falls under the category of assault shotgun.

The OP said he bought a "AAR Saiga 7.62." I assume he means 7.62x39. So the shotgun aspect doesn't matter to him.

I did not read the calguns.net stuff in depth, but a cursory glance seemed to say some Saigas are banned by name, both others are not -- so it depends on who the importer is. And that some CA case law supports the legality of certian Saigas, but that local DA and prosocuting attorneys might still screw with you. I suggest the OP delve into calguns with a fine tooth comb to see what they think.

You've got 12276 A 1 (under assault weapons and .50BMG), which bans "All AK series including but NOT limited to..." the Saiga could, conceivably, fall under this definition. But even if it doesn't, it's still moot, as the Saiga also falls under the category of assault shotgun.

The OP said he bought a "AAR Saiga 7.62." I assume he means 7.62x39. So the shotgun aspect doesn't matter to him.

The OP owns a Saiga rifle and wants to know if he can get a Saiga shotty to keep it company.

The OP owns a Saiga rifle and wants to know if he can get a Saiga shotty to keep it company.

OOPS, my bad: obviously I'm coffee deficient tonight ;)

I did not read the calguns.net stuff in depth, but a cursory glance seemed to say some Saigas are banned by name, both others are not -- so it depends on who the importer is. And that some CA case law supports the legality of certian Saigas, but that local DA and prosocuting attorneys might still screw with you. I suggest the OP delve into calguns with a fine tooth comb to see what they think.

Kalashnikov USA Saigas are banned by name. Others are not. Others would include RAA and EAA. This is a byproduct of the laws' drafters being abjectly clueless, as they couldn't tell the difference between an importer and maker.

It's in the link I have posted up top, at the end of the "Assault Weapons" section.

I hate California gun laws, and I particularly hate all the idiots elected out of San Fran (no offense to the OP) and LA who tried to micromanage my life in Kern County. Which is why I moved to Utah.

Like I said, if you want to use a Saiga shotty in Cali, you're going to have to Cali-strate it by making it a fixed magazine (a la California top-loading AR-15s) or make it a non-semiautomatic (a la the pump-action AK-47s you can read about on ak47.net).

Good luck.

Exactly :rolleyes:

Like I said, if you want to use a Saiga shotty in Cali, you're going to have to Cali-strate it by making it a fixed magazine (a la California top-loading AR-15s) or make it a non-semiautomatic (a la the pump-action AK-47s you can read about on ak47.net).

Defeats the whole purpose.

Has anyone..Gov't or not, ever shown that gun controll or gun prohibition curbs gun violence? I hate this state for it's non-logic.

Edited by Wyatt