Yet another stupid noobie question

From the factory, my gas port was set on 2. I changed it to 1 and shot rounds through it fine.

I took apart the gas tube, cleaned it, put it back together.

Here is my dumb question. When does the port let more gas into piston - when it is "tight" or "loose".

I assumed a tighter nut would mean more gas into chamber, looser =less, but am not sure.

THe reason I ask this is because when reassembling the gas tube, I tightened it all the way, then backed off to first notch, which happened to be 2. I then backed off again to 1, making an even larger gap between valve and tube.

I read in the FAQ that after tightening, it should be backed off to 1 (first) setting.

SO my question is this, does a smaller gap between valve and tube = more or less gas into piston, or vice versa?

It's not the gap that matters; turn the plug in as far as it will go so you get less blow-by through the threads.

If you look at the plug, you'll see it has a big notch. When it's set to "2", the notch uncovers all the gas ports; on "1" it covers half of them.