Heads up thin barrel.223 GB FSB hold by dimples

Well here again building stuff on a .223, light barrel one pin on the GB and dimples on sides

of GB and FSB no pins on FSB.

The dimples on the sides were drill with a 1/8 bullet drill bit, not all the way but just enough

to make them weak for the part to be press out of the barrel.

Yes cheap black and decker 1/8 bullet drill bit, 2 bits for like 1.48 and walmart, I was going

to use my press drill, but I decided to use one of my cordless drills instead, really lazy

to bother on the drill press.

Like you see in the picture, FSB is wasted the dimples pop up as you press

and the GB in view that the dimples were going to pop up, I don't bother

to push out the only pin on it, but cut open the GB and remove the pin, make sure

you don't touch the barrel as you do it.

In few, the butchering took about 30 minutes, the GB and FSB comes out like real easy

on the 12 tom press after you drill the dimples.

Is a way to save the GB and FSB, but you will have to drill just enough on the dimple

just to pop them with out coming all the way out and braking, leaving holes in each side

of the GB and FSB, but I don't need the GB and FSB on this gun.

Or weld over the holes after the FB and FSB are out of the barrel, drill for the pins

and notch the barrel for the 2 pins on the FSB and one on the GB.

post-640-1196541558_thumb.jpg

This is why I don't need the GB and FSB . New GBFS to be install on this creature.

post-640-1196542290_thumb.jpg

In this picture you will see the FSB on one side the, the front dimple just pop up

but don't broke, the rear dimples ( don't look to clear on pic) is holding by a treat,

it pop up and broke as it was press out on the 12 ton press. On the other side

of the FSB ( no picture of it) is two nice holes as the dimples pop all the way out

and broke.

post-640-1196542979_thumb.jpg

Here a picture of the B&D bit, not clear but hey I am not a photographer

post-640-1196543134_thumb.jpg

By the way, I was thinking of use pure brute force and see what happens

with the FSB if just press out with out drilling the dimples, but hey

I don't have a dozen guns to see if will come out OK or fubar

the crown on the barrel or something else.

The only pin on the GB was there to hold the Saiga original hand guard.

This gun have a lighter barrel than any other Saiga on .223 I had, why I don't know.

Last times I had to ream the GFSB to fit it on the barrel on a heavy barrel .223

this time looks like no need, but have to notch the barrel for a second pin

on the GB or leave it with one pin holding it, plus threads on the barrel

will be a lot easier, not need to turn it down for the 14 X 1 LH.

I really don't care if this things comes with HB or LB can always work

stuff out one way or the other, any way what do a Spanish guy know

about guns any way.

See you latter Alligators.

PS. Dinman I have the stuff on my truck riding with me for the last 2 weeks

damn, I will ship it next week.

Edited by vjor

Thank you for the 'heads up,' Sir. I hope this is a one-of-a-kind deal - it was bad enough having the staked-in-place gas pistons (& cracked bolt carrier extensions). I hope the Russians realize that their customers want Russian milspec, NOT made-for-export-chinese-crap. And what you describe sounds (IMHO) like made-for-export-crap.

IMHO, if they can't deliver the 'real thing' (or very close to it), they will lose a big chunk of their market here. Adios, sales (and profits).

Just my opinion, a word to the wise, I'm probably wrong, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc...

Thank you for the 'heads up,' Sir. I hope this is a one-of-a-kind deal - it was bad enough having the staked-in-place gas pistons (& cracked bolt carrier extensions). I hope the Russians realize that their customers want Russian milspec, NOT made-for-export-chinese-crap. And what you describe sounds (IMHO) like made-for-export-crap.

IMHO, if they can't deliver the 'real thing' (or very close to it), they will lose a big chunk of their market here. Adios, sales (and profits).

Just my opinion, a word to the wise, I'm probably wrong, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc...

I don't know brother, I guess is cut on cost on mass production, but no the only rifle

the dealer I got this creature from, have more than few, all dimples on each side

GB and FSB, I don't see a problem to it, to me is just a different way to do stuff

in a way help me a lot at list on this built. no need to fill cuts for the pins

on the barrel.

Vjor,

What was the barrel length on this creature? I'm curious if the thinner barrel is as 20" or 16" thing, or both?

Edit: Ok, I can see it was a 16" Saiga. Were there any 20" .223 Saigas with the same setup at the shop you were visiting?

Edited by dobravery
Vjor,

What was the barrel length on this creature? I'm curious if the thinner barrel is as 20" or 16" thing, or both?

Edit: Ok, I can see it was a 16" Saiga. Were there any 20" .223 Saigas with the same setup at the shop you were visiting?

Brother all were 16" don't saw any 20" at all, but I was not looking for a 20 or anything else,

went to pick what I needed and that was it, gun show is were I got it, my scout call me

and told me that were 16" and that price was really good, well I was working and just make it

on time to pick the gun. OK this is the scoop the name of the dealer is Ira Rosenblum Phone

is 954-767-9242 he deals must on gun shows all over FL but you can call and ask if you want, the name

of the shop is Gun Country if you go to gun shows you may have seen it.

And here is the link to suncoast gun shows http://suncoastgunshows.com/index.htm

on Florida, look for a city near you.

Edited by vjor
Vjor,

Brother all were 16" don't saw any 20" at all, but I was not looking for a 20 or anything else,

went to pick what I needed and that was it, gun show is were I got it, my scout call me

and told me that were 16" and that price was really good, well I was working and just make it

on time to pick the gun. OK this is the scoop the name of the dealer is Ira Rosenblum Phone

is 954-767-9242 he deals must on gun shows all over FL but you can call and ask if you want, the name

And here is the link to suncoast gun shows http://suncoastgunshows.com/index.htm

Yeah I have seen and spoken to them at the South FL Fairgrounds shows. I'm debating ordering a Saiga online, or getting one through them. I think I could save money online, but run the risk of not seeing what I'm buying.

Did older .223 Saigas have a uniform barrel thickness?

Next WPB Fairgrounds show Dec. 15 & 16.

Vjor,

Yeah I have seen and spoken to them at the South FL Fairgrounds shows. I'm debating ordering a Saiga online, or getting one through them. I think I could save money online, but run the risk of not seeing what I'm buying.

Did older .223 Saigas have a uniform barrel thickness?

Next WPB Fairgrounds show Dec. 15 & 16.

Bro 260.00 with taxes and the call to FBI to check background, that is not bad.

Brother all the Saigas I have seen until this one, were heavy barrels on .223

pins and GB and FSB, some came with different trunnions, some don't

some came with cut on barrel for the hand guard plate, some don't

man is better to look at what you get. To see what you going to do with the gun.