Saiga Stain? What are people using?

I saw this "KG Stock Kote 1200 Series Flat Black" anyone use this as the finish on their saiga? Just wondering, I'd like to make it look a little less scratched up. If anyone is using anything else let me know.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

Thanks as aways safe shooting this holiday season everyone! :killer:

Hey aubie515 why KG's 2400?

What would be the diffence from the KG Stock Kote 1200? Other then 2400 is Series Bake On. Does that mean I put it on the saiga then in the oven to cure? (Seriously I don't know what the difference is.)

Also how do I apply this just with a sponge or rag? Paint brush?

Edited by Joeddox

The 2400 series is what KG recommends to use on firearms. I talked to them prior to purchasing the products. KG and Norrell's are very similar...some have even said it's one in the same product. I feel that KG doesn't have a strong odor compared to Norrells.

You want to sandblast the parts..if it's blued or rusted...if it is parkerized or anodized...you can just degrease the parts and coat the parts. To apply, you want to go buy an airbrush kit...I bought an inexpensive one at Walmart for around $20..I believe they went up in price by a few bucks. You preheat your oven to 300 degrees for metal parts...I'd say 250 degrees for plastic parts. Bake metal parts for 1 hour...plastic parts 1.5 hours on 250.

Awesome aubie thanks for the tips. Perhaps a link to the little kit you used :-)?

Good thing I asked even though mine says air dry I was going to clean the surface and rub on with a rag and let airdry. I think I'll return mine now and get the one you used.

So you need to sandblast the parts to remove all the old paint? I was hopping that I could just apply over it.

I just want to make sure do this right and end up with something better then when I started and not the only way around.

Thanks

You can always try to just coat on your current S12. I'm not sure what Russians use to finish the S12. KG and Norrell's needs something to "bite" into when it's applied. Most will apply over parkerized, anodized or tenifer/melonite (glock/XD factory finish). You will know when the KG or Norrell's is cured because it will resist solvents. The finish will also protect against rust.

I don't have pictures of the airbrush kit, but go to any Walmart on the toy section where the models are...the brand is a Testors. You will need to buy a can of air for the kit...one air bottle comes with the kit and will be plenty for a rifle. I always like to have extra air just in case I run out in the middle of a refinishing project.

Just remember when you apply KG that you don't need a thick coat...KG and Norrells both spray on in light coats....You can refinish the external and internal parts.