Collapsible Stock?

There are several available. The cheapest is the TAPCO T6 stock. You can usually pick one up for around $45-50. Here's a link to one at JSE Surplus.

Another "drop in" is the Command Arms Accessories (CAA) CBS Collapsible stock. I bought mine from Area 51 Tactical. It's a very well made stock, with an aluminum extension tube and integral receiver block. The down side is that it's made in Israel, so it does not count toward 922R compliance. But if you are set on compliance parts, it's a very nice addition. I have CAA stocks on both my AK and S12. It's about twice the price of the TAPCO stock, but worth it in my opinion.

Jim

OK, humor me here. What is this 922R you speak of? What else to I need to be aware of when doing other mods like the BHO, pistol grip, forward grip, etc.?

As you might guess, I'm a total long gun/shotgun newb! I assume it's rules governing imports and/or assault weapons?

OK, humor me here. What is this 922R you speak of? What else to I need to be aware of when doing other mods like the BHO, pistol grip, forward grip, etc.?

As you might guess, I'm a total long gun/shotgun newb! I assume it's rules governing imports and/or assault weapons?

Yup -- exactly right. There's a very helpful section here on 922R and compliance. Basically, you need to cut down the number of foreign parts in your rifle when you go from the "sporter" configuration to the true AK (or if you add simple evil features like a pistol grip, collapsible stock, etc.)

I've also tried to capture some of the actual code on my website, here: http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

If you plan on converting (which it sounds like you do), then it shouldn't be a big deal. You just need to make sure you understand the whole thing about parts count and make sure you have enough US-made parts to keep you out of trouble.

Jim

I was wondering why everyone had replacement trigger groups. I assume this counts as several parts right there. If you go with US mags and count them, do you then need to get rid of the stock one if you don't have enough other parts?

The fire control group (FCG) is one of the easiest compliance steps - it counts as three parts (hammer, trigger, disconnector) -- so for a standard AK configuration (pistol grip - no muzzle device) you only need to replace one more part (on an S12) and you're in business. The pistol grip is another common (and easy) part. Other options include handguard, gas piston and butt stock. If you go with the FCG and the pistol grip, then you can use the CAA stock with no problems.

But the biggest reason to replace the FCG is the VAST improvement in trigger pull! The stock Saiga uses a transfer bar/Rube Goldberg device to compensate for the relocation of the trigger. As a result, the pull is long and heavy with a lot of take up. Converting to a standard AK config with a typical TAPCO G2 FCG is orders of magnitude better!

Magazines count as 3 parts (body, floor plate and follower). If you use the AGP mags, then you get 3 parts. If you are counting on those parts for compliance, then you can't use your factory 5-rd any more and still be legal.

Jim

Is the CAA stock THAT much better? Lot more money! I saw a couple Tapco style (made in Taiwan) for AK's at a gunshow that seemed pretty decent. I'd still go with Tapco if I went that route though.

In my opinion, they are that much better. The TAPCOs are all plastic. The CAA has an aluminum extension tube and receiver block. The butt pad on the CAA is thick rubber and does an excellent job of absorbing shock - especially from the S12. It also features a battery compartment so you can store batteries for your weapon light. It also has the option to use quick-disconnect swivel attachments which are very convenient for slinging the shotgun.

I had a TAPCO on my Lancaster AK. It's an acceptable piece of gear for what it is -- a cheap way to add a collapsible stock. If you're going to put any wear and tear on your shotgun, I'd recommend coming up with the extra $50 and getting the CAA stock. It's a one-time investment that will pay dividends in the long run.

Jim

Who make's a heavy stock adapter? By heavy, I mean aluminum, or even better steel. I'm playing with some ideas to reduce felt recoil on my next gen, more mass. I was thinking about going with the new Magpul stock and since there's no buffer in the tube on the AK, putting a Mercury tube in that space. Just started thinking about this and don't know what's available in terms of adapters.