If you try out diff. ammo, you should find a combo in which the .308 is more accurate than the 7.62 x39.

M44:

Although the .308 and 7.62 x54 Russian rounds are in the same ballistics ball park, the Saiga has a lot more things going for it.

-Much easier to put a scope on a Saiga.

-Much easier to find quaility .308 ammo than 7.62 x54.

-Mosin Nagant triggers are usually a bit rough.

-A Saiga would have a new barrel, the condition of a M44 barrel would have to be inspected individually (good, used, worn, counterbored etc.)

-M44 may lose/gain accuracy depending on if the bayonet is folded, extended, or removed.

I'm not saying M44's can't be accurate, just that there may be more issues to consider.

i have a saiga 7.62x39 and was curious as too how much more range and accuracy the .308 offers. would it be a smart decision to upgrade to a .308? how does a .308 compare to a mosin m44 as far as range and accuracy?

200 yards more range, similar accuracy (but with the caveat that you can load your own ammo and get 1.5 moa groups with the 308 a lot more cheaply and with more availability than the 7.62). Smart upgrading depends on a lot of things. My suggestion is to keep the 7.62 and tuck it away with at least 500 rounds of ammo, and just buy a new 308. The m44 and 308 are actually very comparable for range and accuracy, with a good M44 being more accurate.