Saiga .308 gas tube removal

I got the gas tube locking lever of my new Saiga to move, with difficulty (and thanks to those who described the use of the cleaning tool holder) but can't get the cover off no matter what position the lever is in. There is still a spring--not mentioned in the instructions!--that I can't move far enough to get the back end free. If I can't clean it, I can't fire it.

You need to take the dustcover off and remove the bolt carrier.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I must be missing something, because that is the first step in field stripping and was already done. Does the spring come out with the tube? If it doesn't , I don't see how the tube can come out. If it does, the tube is going to take a lot of force to remove it, because it won't budge and there isn't much to grip on.

Yeah, he's probably talking about the little retainer "spring". The little bent piece of metal that holds the tube forward. Just pull harder, cal, it'll come. It took me a while to figure it out too, don't worry.

Hope that helps,

Acer

Mine was also difficult to remove initially. The takedown lever has a cam on its axle which locks the tube in to place. Make sure the lever is rotated to a position where you can visually see that the cam on the lever axle allows the tube to clear. After verifying that the lever is where it needs to be, pull up hard on the gas tube from the rear. It may take some deliberate pulling during initial disassembly.

Yeah that all it is, the lever has to be in exactly the right place to clear the tube, and the spring does come out with the tube. Keep it in the same place it is and don't reverse it.

At first it sounded like you still had the bolt carrier in. A lot of people make that mistake.

I love this site I was about to post the same question about my 308. I was going to practice field stripping and got majorly confused about the gas tube. Is it just me or does everyone have a hell of a time getting the dust cover back on or am I the only dipstick having this issue.

It's often tricky to get the front lip of the dust cover in the correct position to have it latch properly. It gets easier as you get more used to it.

I love this site I was about to post the same question about my 308. I was going to practice field stripping and got majorly confused about the gas tube. Is it just me or does everyone have a hell of a time getting the dust cover back on or am I the only dipstick having this issue.

It's often tricky to get the front lip of the dust cover in the correct position to have it latch properly. It gets easier as you get more used to it.

Haha, I would, but I'm using all three of mine... What you can do is take your handguards off and wrap a wrench handle or stick or screwdriver or something in a towel and stick it between the barrel and the gas tube and carefully pull up on it until it pops off. Try to exert pressure more upwards than off to the side though.

Hope that helps,

Acer