Ammo & Gas Settings.

So I went to the range this weekend and put about 100 rounds through the ole s-12 (stock setup w/no recoil pad)

I started off with some Rem Target load on setting 1. Shot 1 FTE. Shot 2 FTE. Set gas to #2. Shot 3-10 flawless. OK, good, Rem gameshot/target lowbrass 2 3/4" is #2.

Next I went to the Federal 100rd Value Pack. Same thing, FTE on #1, Fine on #2.

Next I tried some 2 3/4" Winchester high brass target load with 3 3/4 Drams of Powder. Flawless on #1.

Next, 10rds of Winchester High Velocity Steel shot, 3" magnums (ouch, my tenderized shoulder!). Good on setting #1.

Next some 2 3/4" S&B 00 Buck. 1 shot on #1 worked. Saved the other 9 for later (wanted to shoot em last on a clean target to get patterning)

Finished the rest of the Rem Target load box and the 2 3/4" Win High Brass with the extra powder on setting 2 and 1 respectively.

Went back at the end for the buck. 1st shot on #1, FTE. 2nd. FTE.... set on #2 and worked fine.

By this time I could have had a lot of gunk in my gas system or it could be that I wasn't being as rigid after the 3" HV magnums and other boxes of 25rds I put through my shoulder, but the thing wouldn't cycle them until I put it on #2.

I know you SHOULD shoot as many as possible on #1 to limit the wear and tear on the receiver, but if I keep all my loads at the 2 3/4" and I don't use 3" magnums, would you think leaving the gun on setting 2 forever, would hurt it in the long run? I don't want to destroy it from the inside out but I don't want to worry that It won't cycle the 2 3/4" buckshots.

Any opinions?

The only result that surprised me was the FTE on Setting #1 with the buckshot.

My S12 cycles buck and slugs on Setting #1 with no problem, but the light loads require #2. My compromise was to buy some of the Fiocchi Reduced Recoil buck and slugs -- they cycle fine on #2 and don't beat the crap out of my shoulder. Try firing a slug or magnum on #2 and you'll see what real pain really means!

Personally, I prefer a single gas setting. Who is going to have time in the field to switch settings? I know what I have to do based upon available ammo, but I'm planning to carry what I know works and adapt from there.

Jim

I have had no trouble with the Remington Game loads on setting #2. ($5 a box of 25)

I did try the Federal Game Shot on setting #2 and they would jam on every 2-3 shots. ($8 a box of 20) I won't be buying them again.

I sighted in my scope with some 3" Magnum Slugs on setting #2 and I felt the pain. I will be shooting all Magnums on setting #1 in the future.