One Saiga: 7.62x39 or .308?

After buying a Saiga 12 and seeing how well-made it is, I've decided that I will add a Saiga rifle to the collection.

I found a Saiga .308 16" NIB and have a deposit on it. I have various 7.62x39 AKs but not Russian variants.

For those of you who own both calibers, how do you find the .308 in comparison? Recoil, accuracy, etc.

After buying a Saiga 12 and seeing how well-made it is, I've decided that I will add a Saiga rifle to the collection.

I found a Saiga .308 16" NIB and have a deposit on it. I have various 7.62x39 AKs but not Russian variants.

For those of you who own both calibers, how do you find the .308 in comparison? Recoil, accuracy, etc.

I prefer the x39. I didn't expect to, since my experience with 7.62x39 AK's was that they tend to deliver poor accuracy, but I got a great price on a used x39 and it turned out to be an absolute tackdriver for an AK. It shoots consistent 2 MOA groups with Golden Tiger, which is about the best I can get my .308 to shoot with handloads so far. Now I probably just got an exceptional x39 and a mediocre .308, but they both deliver acceptable accuracy. The main reason I prefer the x39 is that it's just so much lighter and handier and I don't have to pay $50 for high cap mags. Recoil of the .308 is nothing serious. I find them both to be rather pleasant rifles to shoot.

One other thing that's nicer about the x39 is that everything fits inside the receiver better. They really had to squish things a bit to fit a .308 action into a receiver made for a smaller cartridge and in the case of the S12 they barely managed to do it. On the 7.62x39 and the 5.56 rifles however things just slide right in. This isn't really a major issue, but I think it does make reassembly a bit easier.

I'd say it probably depends on what you want it for. If hunting is your thing, then the 308 is better due to the assortment of hunting ammo with better bullets and greater power.

If you want it for plinking and a just in case gun, then either is fine and the x39 is cheaper to feed (unless you reload, then they are about the same).

The x39 is easier to customize, and mags are cheaper. The x39 is like a hi test 357 mag in a rifle, and the 308 is a true sniper round good to 800 yards (but the saiga's accurate to around 400).

Sooo, both would be good...

The .308 is (obviously) going to have a bit more recoil so it might take some getting used to. But if you already have experience with the 7.62x39 AK's then your transition will be easier than those that came from the AR rifles.

I think in the accuracy department it has a lot of potential. This is one member's post regarding his Saiga with 16" barrel. Keep in mind that it's been converted so the trigger is not stock. He's also using handloads and a supported rest.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...&hl=bossman

BTW, I also agree with the other guys...get BOTH! I'll be getting the 7.62x39 around March. Already have the .308 and just got the S-12.

Hope that helps.

I have been fortunate to have shot all three at my rod and gun club...partially because I opened an account for them and now almost over 20 members have them in various calibers and I get to shoot them.

If you are planning to just keep one for a do all...definitely a .308..why? the Trigger on the .308 is definitely better. The Accuracy on the .308 is better..hence the potential lethal range is greater. Also, you can get a higher capacity mag with that now. Also..the .308 has the heaviest barrel...it LOOKS Meaner! All ours are the 16" ones btw and that to me is perfect for the Saiga.

downside? it's not the cheapest plinker by a long shot.

I personally chose the x39 because I have MORE than just one rifle...and I knew it was meant to be a Plinker and so I chose the x39 due to cost of ammo and blast factor.

Edited by varmintgetter

If you want a plinker/range/truck/knock-around rifle thats a workhorse, get the 7.62x39.

If you want a TEOTWAWKI/SHTF/OMGWIF/KilleverythingletGodsortitout/ZOMBIE rifle, go with the .308 and FBMG or Surefire 20-25 round mags (abiding the 922r conversion - of course).

The .308 is a lot of gun and not cheap to feed (Mags or Ammo) these days...

:ded:

post-1473-1201217419_thumb.jpg

Then I think you just answered your own question....

A buddy has a certain Class III item with a more voracious appetitie than a Saiga .308, so the question becomes which animal I want to feed. :rolleyes: Anyway, Saiga .308 will be here in a few weeks and I look forward to learning on this forum.