Hey guys. I'm a newbie to anything Kalashnikov related and recently purchased a Saiga 7.62x39 (16" barrel, skeleton stock w/ cheek rest)from a local shop. It was used, but in great condition. The guy in the store didn't really know too much about the Saiga other than that it was Russian made, and I have to admit I was rather ignorant too. I thought I was just purchasing another AK-knock off.

The rifle came with a 30rd. steel magazine. I wanted to purchase an additional mag, but we couldn't get them to lock into place. I noticed that the first magazine had been filed to fit the rifle. The shop owner was kind enough to throw in the second magazine for free if I did the filing myself. "Deal" I said and brought it home. Filed down the second mag to fit and head to my friend's farm the next day to test my new baby out. I load 5 rounds into the second mag and the damned thing won't cycle a round. I try out the original mag and it works like a charm.

Then begins my research on this wonderful rifle I have purchased. I find this site and learn all kinds of tidbits of knowledge including the fact that the dealer sold me a rifle that is non-compliant with 922r with the magazine attached. Everything is stock on my rifle, less the magazine. That's all fine and good, as I'm going to purchase several 10rd magazines to keep it legal. I'll toss my working 30rd in the closet and save it for a class 3 zombie outbreak. However, I just couldn't figure out why the second magazine was jamming and it was really bugging me.

I look into bullet guides and then field strip the rifle and find that yes, it is still stock with no bullet guide installed. So why the hell does the first magazine still work? Both magazines have the exact same housing; I'm fairly certain they are East German. Today I figured it out: the first magazine does not have a notch carved out on the fore-end of the ramp. therefore, the magazine itself is acting as a bullet guide. I can't tell if this was installed or is original. Is this a mod, or are there standard AK mags that come like this?

The functional mag is on the left:

magazines.jpg

BTW, I love this rifle. She shoots great and isn't bad to look at either.

Hey guys. I'm a newbie to anything Kalashnikov related and recently purchased a Saiga 7.62x39 (16" barrel, skeleton stock w/ cheek rest)from a local shop. It was used, but in great condition. The guy in the store didn't really know too much about the Saiga other than that it was Russian made, and I have to admit I was rather ignorant too. I thought I was just purchasing another AK-knock off.

The rifle came with a 30rd. steel magazine. I wanted to purchase an additional mag, but we couldn't get them to lock into place. I noticed that the first magazine had been filed to fit the rifle. The shop owner was kind enough to throw in the second magazine for free if I did the filing myself. "Deal" I said and brought it home. Filed down the second mag to fit and head to my friend's farm the next day to test my new baby out. I load 5 rounds into the second mag and the damned thing won't cycle a round. I try out the original mag and it works like a charm.

Then begins my research on this wonderful rifle I have purchased. I find this site and learn all kinds of tidbits of knowledge including the fact that the dealer sold me a rifle that is non-compliant with 922r with the magazine attached. Everything is stock on my rifle, less the magazine. That's all fine and good, as I'm going to purchase several 10rd magazines to keep it legal. I'll toss my working 30rd in the closet and save it for a class 3 zombie outbreak. However, I just couldn't figure out why the second magazine was jamming and it was really bugging me.

I look into bullet guides and then field strip the rifle and find that yes, it is still stock with no bullet guide installed. So why the hell does the first magazine still work? Both magazines have the exact same housing; I'm fairly certain they are East German. Today I figured it out: the first magazine does not have a notch carved out on the fore-end of the ramp. therefore, the magazine itself is acting as a bullet guide. I can't tell if this was installed or is original. Is this a mod, or are there standard AK mags that come like this?

The functional mag is on the left:

magazines.jpg

BTW, I love this rifle. She shoots great and isn't bad to look at either.

Without a bullet guide, chambering rounds is going to be problematic with mil hi caps and downright dangerous. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the bullet guide helps to bridge the gap over the trunion to the chamber. the saiga mags a have a lip that protrudes out and acts like a BG. It appears form your photo that the left ones lip is higher (similar to stock saiga mags) so this would help to chamber the round properly. take off your dust cover, snap in the left mag and pull back the bolt and check it out , then repeat with the right one. you should be able to see what I am talking about as the right ones lip will be much lower than the left. Either way install a BG.

Be sure to hit up Dinzag, he makes really good BG's and his customer support is awesome.

Also IMHO Filing down the mag catch is a better way to go. that way if you have to, you can use battlefield pickups or any PreBan HiCaps without moding them. When SHTF you dont want to be limited , you want to be flexible.

might wanna check 922r on that one ;)

my advice........grind the CATCH not the mag.....sell the one that works on Gunbroker for $30 and buy a bunch of $9 mags from AIM surplus........then take a piece of sheetmetal (i got a piece from an electrical panel.......so rougly 14gauge).....bend it over double and jam it into the trunnion under the barrel and tap it in with a screwdriver and hammer GENTLY but so it wont go anyplace. rounded side facing the magwell........ that'll hold u over untill u buy a real bullet feed from Dinzag or some other place like Kvar. that is of course if your trunnion has a FLAT bottom. and if the sheet metal doesn't fit under the barrel or stops the bolt from moving forward then work on it with a file or dremel tool. the idea is to help feed the bullets but not to stop the bolt........also, get ride of the skeleton stock and replace it with a regular stock set is my advice. it take an hour with nothing but a cordless drill and a file plus the needed parts. I'd recommend a TAPCO G2 us made trigger.......thats pretty much it in a nutshell.......