.223 shooters check this out.......rather interesting

Hello all,

I was doing some research for an ar 15 and found this. Thought everyone here might like to take a look at it, and to see what everyone thinks. I dont think this from a rifle malfunction though. Seems to me more of an operator error or ammo error in some way.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&...16&t=361623

hope its not a big deal me posting links to other forums ordinarily i wouldnt but in this case I think those of you shooting the .223 like i am should at least see this.........

odn

That is pretty weird. Something funny was happening if the primers were receding into the cases.

I thought it was badly shaped brass at first, but then read on and assume that the two on the far right were chambered when there was part of a case left in the chamber. I also thought it was primers sunk way too deep in the pocket, but then noticed they were normal on the two on the far right. I give up.

Maybe there were some high pressure loads that... weakened the chamber? What the hell makes a primer suck up into the brass?!

BH_Vmax2_sm.jpg

Edited by Twinsen
Hello all,

I was doing some research for an ar 15 and found this. Thought everyone here might like to take a look at it, and to see what everyone thinks. I dont think this from a rifle malfunction though. Seems to me more of an operator error or ammo error in some way.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&...16&t=361623

hope its not a big deal me posting links to other forums ordinarily i wouldnt but in this case I think those of you shooting the .223 like i am should at least see this.........

odn

The only time I've had cases separate like that, was using brand new Chinese Communist 5.56 ammo in a Mini-14 (never had a similar problem with any other ammo in the same rifle). As a direct result, I stick with new NATO surplus ammo in my self-loading 5.56 rifles. FWIW, I would suggest having a decent gunsmith pull any remains of the stuck case out of the chamber & check head space, and (if the head space is OK) run some non-reloaded ammo through it.

Hate to say it, but (based on my experience & what I've read) more often than not the problem is with the ammo, not the firearm.

Obviously, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc...

;>)