Too dumb to finish my conversion, help?

Yes, I have searched, read everything many times. I've never done any sort of work like this, and I'm hesitant.

I'm on step three of the cross-con site for rifles. I have the insides gutted, and now need to remove the trigger guard and plate. The guide here says to not remove the red rivet, and this is different from their guide (I know it's for rifles).

pic1.JPG

I should cut across the green line, leave the red rivet untouched, and drill a new hole somewhere close to the green dot for the front of the trigger guard. I think I can finish it up the rest after this. Or is there some other way that is better? It seems a lot of people take the whole plate off.

I'm looking for confirmation before I start drill-raping what remains of my $500 shotgun.

Thanks much.

Edited by Mr. Rx

That's one way to do it but not necessarily the best way. If you do it like that your selector stop will remain where it is and the selector will continue to drop down below the edge of the receiver like from the factory. I don't do it like that because for one, it doesn't need to go that low to free the trigger, and two, it looks funny. Other AKs are not like that. The rifle conversions (and the 410 and S-20) are also different than the S-12. With all the other Saigas the selector stop is in it's proper position behind and below the mag catch assembly. When I convert an S-12 basic, I cut the selector stop where you have the line drawn AFTER removing the entire bottom plate and trigger guard. Then drill a new hole where the rivet hole lines up after you butt the cut off portion up against the base of the mag catch.

Like this...post-1293-1203332721_thumb.jpg

Yeah - what Cobra said!

Just be careful - I ended up screwing up the cut and not having enough room left to drill a new hole. So I had to make a new selector stop from a left over piece of trigger plate. It wasn't that a big of a deal, but just watch what you're doing.

Now convert that shotgun! :)

Jim

Cobra, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks bud.

Dumb question #2:

When I screw in my AR15-style assstock into the ACE folding stock mechanism, which is connected to an ACE external reciever block, the stock doesn't line up right (rotated 45 degrees). There needs to be a way to stop how far the stock screws into the gun. I guess there's some sort of nut or spacer that I'm missing?

Edited by Mr. Rx