I'm about to show my ignorance and throw myself on your mercy.

I've been a member of the forum for a while and have converted a 16" S-308 and an IZ-109 12 guage using the information gleaned from the hundreds of posts on the subject.

I've read many posts that refer to SBS which I assume stands for Short Barrel Shotgun.

I know that the feds dictate that a shotgun cannot have a barrel shorter than 18" so I figure anything less than 18" must require a special permit and background check by the feds. Am I right?

If I'm right, it seems odd that so many of you guys own an SBS because if it's classified the same as a machine gun, it would cost something like $200 for the federal permit and take somewhere around six months for them to do a background check.

What am I missing? What is this SBS thing all about? How can I own one of those nifty Tromix 6" barrel shotguns?

Here's the outline version:

You fill out a Form 4 describing the gun you want to own.

Your CLEO signs it. This could be the Chief of Police or Sheriff where you live.

You send the signed form and $200 to BATF.

When your paperwork comes back approved, you can buy a shorty.

There are lots of other versions as I'm sure many others will post about, but that's the nutshell.

Also read this: NFA WEAPONS FAQ

If I'm right, it seems odd that so many of you guys own an SBS because if it's classified the same as a machine gun, it would cost something like $200 for the federal permit and take somewhere around six months for them to do a background check.

This is all true...but there are more of us than you think. And even more guys would do it if it were possible where they live.

What am I missing? What is this SBS thing all about? How can I own one of those nifty Tromix 6" barrel shotguns?

Ever read about that couple that was in a tent, killed and eatten by a grizzly? He had a shotgun but inside a small tent it was too LONG to put into play. This while the bear was using the tent like a bag in a 1970's shake and bake commercial.

Open tent, add humans, close tent, grab tent and drag around like a sack of taters, open bag and eat humans.

After reading that I have never bothered to bring a long gun inside a tent again. Another bear country tent trick, place your handgun on a white rag at night, makes it easier to find. In my case glasses too.

At close range the shotgun is awesome in power, probably the best defensive come get me weapon, and shorter is great for that use. The SBS Tromix is one of the "cooler" weapons of the decade that is functional. SBS is the ONLY thing I can't have here in Indiana. I know at least 20 guys here who would buy one ASAP. That would in turn inlfuence another 100 but we are a big shotgun state to begin with. SBS is a weekly topic around here for years.

Some day I will give my out of state Bro one for a gift so I can go visit it. We were just talking about it on the phone tonight.

Edited by Zoub