Just got my Dimpled IZ-132, FSB twisted?

Just got my IZ-132 from my FFL. As soon as I picked it up and looked down the sights I felt like something was wrong. It doesn't seem like the Front Iron Sight Post, the rear sight, and the middle of the rear of the receiver are in a straight line. At first I was afraid the barrel and the receiver werent true with each other. After staring at it that looks fine(the rear stock feels a little off though). After taking a laser leveler and just aiming it down the sights and seeing where it ends up on the rear part of the receiver it seems its about 1/4" off center. Maybe the FSB is twisted a little to the left? Anyone ever had this? Maybe Im going nuts...

Some pics:

izx64m.jpg

sb3tx1.jpg

2u5ylwn.jpg

317gtpc.jpg

29pui6o.jpg

2mfzn6v.jpg

yeah it looks off.

I would check one more time with a level on the front sight and a level on the leaf sight.

then I would tap out the pins holding the site, use a brass to tap the sight to 90, fill the pin holes with silver solder, drill and put the pins back.

yeah it looks off.

I would check one more time with a level on the front sight and a level on the leaf sight.

then I would tap out the pins holding the site, use a brass to tap the sight to 90, fill the pin holes with silver solder, drill and put the pins back.

Whats a brass? Is this something most people would return the rifle for?

Whats a brass? Is this something most people would return the rifle for?

Brass hammer, so you don't mar up the FSB.

This is pretty common, both my .308 and .223 are like this to varying degrees. I've also noticed that the rear sight leaf, not the block, but the leaf itself isn't always straight. Hell, the notch in the sight leaf isn't centered on either of them for that matter. Both are off by about 1/32" to the right.

I haven't tried to fix either of them and that puts the front sight pin pretty far of to the left once sighted in. I know other people here have done things along the lines of what Leo has suggested with success.

It probably isn't worth the hassle to exchange the rifle, but thats up to you.

Good luck.

Thanks guys,

I'll take it to the range first and make sure all is well. Afterwards, resetting the FSB will be done before I start doing the conversion :)

yeah, I should have said brass hammer. If it bothers you, and you can return the gun, return it. but it is fairly common. when we get a gun that is painfully off we use it for prototyping something new, and then we true them up and them discounted as factory seconds locally. there is always people looking for a bargain.

took the rifle to the range today. If I line up the sights it shoots a little to the left(about an inch to the left at 25 yards). From the pictures above and just eyeballing it, it looks like the fsb is twisted to the left which youd think would make the rifle shoot to the right. So either im a very consistently bad shot(was getting 1" groupings) or Im missing something?

yeah, me too. i just got my new saiga in, and the sights are off left as well. damn I hate that. these are supposed to be new... I feel sorry for any russian soldier shooting with this thing. Guess i'll either have to fix it. or get a mount and use a scope

My .223 shoots exactly where I point it, however I had to adjust the front post significantly of center to the left. Your guns are accurate, they just need to be sighted in. Again, this is common, don't be to bummed out. The good news is that you are shooting with precision since the bullets all seem to be going in the same place.

That said, and I don't think this is the case, it could be you. By brother and I consistently group on different parts of the paper with the same gun, both with tight groups. This is precision, accuracy would be grouping exactly where we mean for the bullets to go. "Consistently bad shot" doesn't sound as good as "precise shot" now, does it? ;)

Scoping is a solution, but scopes can break and when they do, if your irons aren't sighted in you are boned. So, if I were you I would get the irons sighted first, if that means that your front post is adjusted way off center, then so be it. If you aren't happy with that, then you gotta do a little work on your sight block. Tinkering is half the fun anyway.

Edited by ArcFault
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I tried to straighten my FSB but no luck. Pins came out easily. I put some CLP on it for a few hours, clamped the barrel on my workbench, put a wooden block on the side of the FSB and hit the block with a hammer(I dont have a brass hammer). I was hitting it pretty hard but it didn't move the FSB at all. Does heating the FSB really do anything?

Well I tried to straighten my FSB but no luck. Pins came out easily. I put some CLP on it for a few hours, clamped the barrel on my workbench, put a wooden block on the side of the FSB and hit the block with a hammer(I dont have a brass hammer). I was hitting it pretty hard but it didn't move the FSB at all. Does heating the FSB really do anything?

sounds like it's gunsmith time to me...

Mine wouldn't move either. That's why I just cut a slit in the bottom of it and took it off the rifle. I got a new FSB, heated it with a propane torch and literally slid it in to position. That said, you could always use Cobras gear puller method to pull it completely off the gun, heat it with a small torch, grab it with a pair of vice grips and slide it on to exactly where you want it. The problem with heating it while on the barrel is that the FSB tends to dissipate heat very quickly where as the barrel tends to absorb heat. That's why I would suggest heating it off the barrel.