barrel length difference

Is the 20.5 inch barrel more accurate than the 16 inch barrel? I have read conflicting information. One person said that the longer barrel improves velocity but not accuracy. Wouldn't increased velocity mean flatter trajectory? Wouldn't this be more accurate and increase range? I am a novice so I have no experience to back up my logic. Thanks

Is the 20.5 inch barrel more accurate than the 16 inch barrel? I have read conflicting information. One person said that the longer barrel improves velocity but not accuracy. Wouldn't increased velocity mean flatter trajectory? Wouldn't this be more accurate and increase range? I am a novice so I have no experience to back up my logic. Thanks

There are a lot of things that affect accuracy of a rifle. Length is just one. you should pick the one you like best aesthetically.

There is no MECHANICAL accuracy advantage between a 16" barrel and a 20".

Any accuracy advantage will be from an increase in SIGHT RADIUS that comes from a front sight that is 4" forward. This is a real factor, that for all intents and purposes, has more to do with combat accuracy than good bench rest mesurements.

There is no MECHANICAL accuracy advantage between a 16" barrel and a 20".

Any accuracy advantage will be from an increase in SIGHT RADIUS that comes from a front sight that is 4" forward. This is a real factor, that for all intents and purposes, has more to do with combat accuracy than good bench rest mesurements.

Well I believe I found my own answer. This is more than I wanted to know but it is complete.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barre...rest_rifles.htm

I have the 20.5" barrel version.

I chose the longer barrel for the increase in sight radius using the iron sights, as I don't plan on putting optics on such an inexpensive kalishnakov...... and won't be needing to clear any houses anytime soon :) .

So an AMD-65 would be the least effective because of the sight radius? I have got conflicting info. Is the AMD considered a SBR? If I had a friend that has a class III licience would he be able to legally convert a Saiga to a SBR with the FSB right at the point where the gas tube meets the barrell?

It doesn't matter if it's legally converted. Coverting it is not the problem. Owning it is the problem. You have to be legally able to own a SBR.

And yes, the shorter the sight radius, the less "practically accurate" the gun/shooter combination becomes.

It doesn't matter if it's legally converted. Coverting it is not the problem. Owning it is the problem. You have to be legally able to own a SBR.

And yes, the shorter the sight radius, the less "practically accurate" the gun/shooter combination becomes.

Thanks for the answer. It would be legal for the individual to have a SBR with the ATF.