Converting a Saiga .308 IZ139

I just took possession of the above Saiga .308. I have been reading about converting it but am a newbie to all of this and have no idea as to how to get started, what to buy, or where to buy it at the best price. What would be the basic components to buy to get started? How easy or difficult is it to install the components? I don't want to mess up my rifle but do want it to look like an AK47. Thanks for any help or comments. Perhaps the Administrator could write a primer for newbies or provide links for that kind of information.

I just took possession of the above Saiga .308. I have been reading about converting it but am a newbie to all of this and have no idea as to how to get started, what to buy, or where to buy it at the best price. What would be the basic components to buy to get started? How easy or difficult is it to install the components? I don't want to mess up my rifle but do want it to look like an AK47. Thanks for any help or comments. Perhaps the Administrator could write a primer for newbies or provide links for that kind of information.

I just did a search for Saiga conversions and found this link: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm. After persuing several steps of the work involved, I have decided it is much to difficult for a newbie-especially the work involving the removing and replacing the trigger. Guess I will shoot it stock for the time-being. Is there any company or person that does these conversions and is proficient at it and can guarantee the work? Thanks

I just did a search for Saiga conversions and found this link: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm. After persuing several steps of the work involved, I have decided it is much to difficult for a newbie-especially the work involving the removing and replacing the trigger. Guess I will shoot it stock for the time-being. Is there any company or person that does these conversions and is proficient at it and can guarantee the work? Thanks

Send Leo@vka a pm or check there business section Viking kitty armory

I checked out one of his posts here on the forum and it appears he doesn't work on customer-supplied rifles. So much for that avenue.

Try and contact them for sure first before you write that option off http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=23769&hl=

Yeah, we wanted to sell guns already converted, so your only wait time is shipping. But is seem like that is not how saiga sales are done. So I now I do work on customer guns. detail can be found in under our thread in the business forum.

we stock tapco stocks and fire control groups and use Ergo Grips

if you want something we dont stock, just send it with the gun and I'll install it.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=201111

If you want to pay someone else to do the conversion, that's fine. I have gone that route myself in the past and am very happy with the results. However, I assure you that converting a Saiga .308 is EASY. If I can do it (and I can) just about anyone can. Check out dinzagarms.com. Dinzag has great products and information that make converting a Saiga .308 (and other Saigas too) quite simple.

I removed the original fire control group from my Saiga .308 in about five minutes, and it would have taken less time if I had ever done anything like it before. It doesn't involve much more than pushing out a couple of pins after disengaging the retaining wire that holds them in. Since the openings for the new trigger position and pistol grip nut are already cut (they're just hidden under the bottom plate), replacing the trigger is no problem. A little easy Dremel and drill work (a cold chisel sometimes helps to finish off a spot weld) will take care of the bottom plate. You can reposition the trigger guard by simply putting one end under the magazine catch tower and screwing the other end down (the hole for this was not already present, but making it was easy enough). Then Dinzag's fire control group for a pistol grip conversion .308 will just "drop in." I am by no means an expert in any of this, but it really is easy. Also, many people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable than I am about converting Saigas are happy to help.

Good luck, and enjoy the gun whichever route you take.

Where are you located The Vigilante?

I'm sure if someone on this board is close to you they'd be more than happy to show/explain it to you.

I've not been here long at all (lurked a while though), but there's good people here. I'll help if I'm close (Roanoke, VA).

As said, good luck with whatever route you go.

I feel your pain, dude. I've been reading a lot about the conversion, but my reoccurring pussy syndrome keeps me from taking a drill press to my $400 investment.

I understand your reluctance. I felt the same way for months. However, once I got the information from this forum, and saw the youtube video on Saiga conversion (although imperfect, it effectively illustrates that the process is simple), I decided to try it myself. I found that it is indeed easy, even for a first-timer. As for taking a drill to your $400 investment (use cobalt drill bits), the bottom plate that I mentioned in my previous post is discarded after the conversion. It is the only thing that gets messed up, and when you're done you have no use for it anyway. There isn't a scratch on my Saiga .308 conversion, even though it was the first time I had ever worked on one.

Again, dinzagarms.com is a great source of easy-to-use parts for Saiga conversions. If you do try the conversion, I recommend that you plug the chamber and gas tube openings (I just used a rag) to prevent any metal shavings from finding their way in. When you're done, blow/brush/wipe the receiver carefully to remove metal particles. Carefully mask off the areas you don't want to get paint on when touching-up the underside of the receiver (there is no paint under the bottom plate that is removed). All of this is easy too. Learn about the process and go slowly and carefully. You really can do it.

Edited by hogdog

you need to watch the Video on u tube a guy has never done one before and tape the whole thing. I have just bought a 223 and a 308. I am waiting on my parts to get here then I am going to rip into it and do them both. I have never done them before but after asking questions on here watching the u tube video, O YAH go to danzag arms go to his links page there is a step by step website that shows you I printed the steps off so I had a guide to go by to do both of mine. I can not wait to try something new and build my own custom guns. I will not learn If I do not try

I just got done watching parts 1-7 of the youtube video, and I can now say that I'm totally confident in my ability to do this. As stated above, anyone who has any reservations about doing this themselves needs to watch that video, even though you can't see exactly what's going on sometimes (in the video), it was a lot easier for me to figure out what I need to do, as opposed to the picture/text tutorials I had read. I'm going to go on and buy all the stuff I need when I get my check tomorrow. I'm fucking stoked.