Questions about conversions

I just got a Saiga .308 IZ139-NIB. I would like to add a pistol grip and Tapco G2 trigger. Can I retain the stock if I add a pistol grip or do I have to get another stock? Tapco makes 2 wire retaining springs-a regular spring and n L-shaped retaining spring. Does the L-shape have an advantage over the regular spring? Which pistol grip is the pistol grip of choice on this forum and where can I buy it? Is my model a single or double hook model as far as the trigger group is concerned? Is a Tapco retaining plate recommended? This will do for starters. Thanks

I just got a Saiga .308 IZ139-NIB. I would like to add a pistol grip and Tapco G2 trigger. Can I retain the stock if I add a pistol grip or do I have to get another stock? Tapco makes 2 wire retaining springs-a regular spring and n L-shaped retaining spring. Does the L-shape have an advantage over the regular spring? Which pistol grip is the pistol grip of choice on this forum and where can I buy it? Is my model a single or double hook model as far as the trigger group is concerned? Is a Tapco retaining plate recommended? This will do for starters. Thanks

Use a single hook trigger and the L-shaped spring. if you keep the russian stock add the tapco full length stainless steel gas piston to meet 922r.

Yes you can retain the original stock if you meet the parts count for 922r, but the length may be the concern. Any of the retianing wires and plate that tapco sells will work if properly installed. Factory saiga receivers are set up to use a single hook trigger and work fin with it, but one could make a notch so a double hook would work. It seems that the Tapco SAW grip is preferred for comfort but there are others on the market like the ERGO grip and are not US made and therefore don't count towards compliance. Good luck with your gun

Can I retain the stock if I add a pistol grip or do I have to get another stock?
If your name is Chewbacca, Andre the Giant or "The Big Show", the factory Saiga stock will work well with a pistol grip.

For the rest of us, it's kinda got a looooong length of pull.

I like the rifle stocks-is there another rifle stock that would work with a pistol grip? Or do I need to go to a collapsible stock? Thanks for all of the input and recommendations.

Any standard Kalashnikov buttstock will work.

Nalioth,

Thanks for the info. Can you provide some links where I can check out what is offered?

Check out http://cheaperthandirt.com/ak47_jhd.htm or k-var http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=251 http://www.riflestocks.com/AKStampedNoMods.htm plenty of other options out there just keep up with 922. Some of the stocks on K-var are not U.S. made and some require different rear trunnions for the folders

Edited by Superhawk138
I see some buttstocks with 1.25' Extended Nato length. Should I stick with regular length or extended? Pros and cons for each one?

Just my .02, I got the standard Warsaw length, and it was too short for me. I'm 6'. I don't know if that helps any, but next stock I get will be the longer Nato length.