Two of my teen's in my youth group.......

buy an ounce and make them smoke it all at one time. theyll never touch the stuff again lol.....

Great Idea! but I think my church MAY frown of that one.....

we got a board meeting on Monday, I'll ask! :lolol:

A HUGE Bullshit on that comment.

For the moment, let's put aside all comments such as 'the MAN (gov't) on your ass', 'personal freedoms', 'my rights', etc. How about teaching 'em about the effects of use on their health, along with the associated poor judgement (or none) and poor decisions which lead to further consequences. No drug abusers are able to realize their full potential due to screwing up their lives because of all the afore stated factors.

you should realise that MJ aint a hard drug and really isn't too bad when used responsibly.

alcohol is much much much more dangerous to yourself and to others.

as with all drugs, the problem lies with control over the habbit and how you indulge it, rather than the drug itself.

IMO with the way I'm sure these kids look up to you Juggs, just seeing the look a disappointment on your face is the worst punishment they can have at church. If their parents are worth a crap, you can bet your boots they will not be happy about having to go to court with little Johnnie and they will do their part of the punishing at home where it belongs. I will NEVER forget when I was 17, already out of the house and excercising my "freedom" a little to carelessly, and ended up in a courtroom! I was already pretty scared and then suddenly I felt something like a hot poker burning a hole through the back of my head. Something felt really wrong. I turned around and looked back to see my father sitting in the back row, staring right through me! I will NEVER forget that feeling of disappointment in myself and the feeling that I had failed HIM. He actually talked to my Lawyer and asked him if there was any kind of forced enrollment in the military that he could look into. I was only 17 and still in high school so that wasn't even close to happening. Anyway the punishment I got from the state did not even come near the mental punishment I endured by having made my father feel that way and have to look on that docket and see his oldest son's name up there. Turns out, he found out about it from one of his police officer friends who cared enough to involve him.

I payed for my mistakes but I can never take away that black mark on my father's pride. That stays with you forever.

it's a double edged sword.

perhaps you can let them simmer with that feeling, but on the other hand, perhaps what they really needed is someone to be really tough on them. otherwise, they might think no one actually cares enough to be tough to them.

i've done some stupid things in my life (as we all have), and usually, my parents let me simmer with the guilt of what i had done and left me to deal with the results myself. now, that appearantly worked well enough in my case, but i still carry that guilt and queazy feeling when i think back of a few things i did, where perhaps i dont really need that guilt. i think i would've gained more from a proverbial slap to the face (note that i'm not advocating physical punishment), thus effectively closing that chapter and starting anew. i think closure is really important, and something that cannot be gained through letting the kids simmer it out, but only through punishment.

on the other hand, straight out punishment will not work at all either (if it did, your prisons wouldn't be so goddamned full :) ).

damn, this stuff is complex.

anyhow, i think you need a pinch of mental shock (of what could happen if they pull stupid shit like that again) & shame (of having let people down that love them), a handful of (physically tiring) punishment and a few ounces of love for the kids.

i'd also say not to turn to religiously colored stuff, but since it's a church community service, i presume that ship has sailed, lol.

(Funny thing is, is both these kids are from pretty good homes... Not the one's you would think to get in trouble...)

a common misconception :)

Love all you freaks here too!

lay off the dope Juggs, you're mellowing out here! :haha:

I look in the mirror and laugh how God has used a Tattooed loser... like ME.. To teach his word...

I STILL don't get that........

Hey,

I've got a buddy who used to be a hardcore Satan worshipper. He's about 6'6", weight about 350LBS, long hair, and looks like he hurts people for a living.

He got away from it. Now, he's a hardcore Christian, and preaches the Word through "music" He's a performer (I can't bring myself to say singer) in a Christian death metal band.

He's a great guy, and he's making a difference.

..as are you.

Edited by patriot