Surefire .308 mags

How do the Surefire mags measure up to the factory Russian mags for the .308 ?

Fit and finish good ?

any metal on'em anywhere ? or all polymer ?

Jack-a-sol did a comparison with the FBMG's a few weeks back. I remember him saying the poly seemed a bit more brittle. You could search it by his posts.

My Surefires seem to work great. The plastic does seem to be harder, (and perhaps more brittle), than the factory mags, but since I haven't broken one or heard of anyone breaking one yet, I don't know that for a fact. I haven't measured, but they seem a little thicker.

Here are a few things I do know about them. They do have a LRBHO feature. They are initially very tight fitting, but after inserting them just a few times they inserted easily. They have a slightly shorter interior measurement than factory mags. Maybe a millimeter or so. They are almost entirely made of plastic. Only the spring and a tiny piece of the follower are metal. They are some really large mags. They're as long as a 30 round AK mag and thicker than an FAL, M14 or G3 mag.

Was there supossed to be a bulge problem with the FBMG mag? I'm looking at my 20 rounder in the S-308 fully loaded for months now and there's no bulge.

I forget where I read it, but someone was recomending not keeping them loaded, due to bulging. I can't remember if it was in reference to a particular brand, or all of the poly mags.

I've got an assortment of them now that are always loaded and no bulging problems.

Only thing I've ever heard about not keeping mags loaded up was the springs supposedly lose their tension.

I've had some AR mags loaded for years now tho and they're still good so I would have to say thats not too true about the springs either.