Most reliable mags for 223's that don't have a bullet guide

Just bought a used 223 which was converted to pistol grip by the previous owner. The 223 should arrive in a few weeks. The 223 does not have a bullet guide, which is the way I want it. Due to my locale's very strict gun laws....we can't have rifle mags over 10 rds if the mag will also fit/work in a pistol (ie AK pistol). So I have to use specialized mags like the Surefires if I want to use a hi cap mag (ie they shouldn't work in an AK pistol).

I'm leaning to the steel mags modified by Surefire because the poly Surefire mags are not reinforced and may break. I would gone with the poly mags if they were more durable since they count as 3 US parts.

Do the steel mags modified by Surefire have any US parts?

I have also considered buying AK mags and modding them for my Saiga (with no bullet guide) but reliability seems to be an issue without the bullet guide.....some people have mentioned that certain unmodded AK mags will work in their 223 without the BG.....some people have all the luck. I'm not one of them so I'll probably cough up the money.

I am still considering putting in the bullet guide and modding AK mags. If an AK mag is modded to fit in a Saiga, is it a mod that will render it non-usable in an AK pistol? Getting hi-cap mags shipped to my locale is a whole other problem....they will probably have to be modded prior to shipping anyway!!!! I guess my cousin in Washington would have to buy them, mod them and then ship them to me or at least disassemble them prior to mailing them to me.

The purpose of the 223 is self defense/protecting home in case a hurricane like Katrina hits where we live. The 223 will be a secondary to 9mm handguns (G17-L, P95-DC) and, hopefully, never be used for its purpose....SHTF.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Tim808

If you have enough US parts or rather a low enough foreign parts count, then go for the Surefire steel mags - that's what I did. Nothing against the poly mags ( I have some myself ), but to be honest, those steel, mil spec mags are a superior mag.

Edited by Squib