AK Mags that are .223

...they are not wood just look like it. fiberglass with metal reinforcements. fits the saiga magwell good. though requires mods to work with 223. needs feedramp. is little more hassle than 7.62x39 mod.

I really don't have personal experience with use/modification of the AK-74 mags for .223 Saiga use...

But have modified them for use in my chinese .223 AK (84S).

The fact that the mags are made for the 5.45x39mm round, rather than the smaller & less tapered case 5.56 Nato, requires modification to reliably use them.

I should imagine the mod is the same for using them in a Saiga...IF the Saiga has a bullet guide placed in it.

The mod is a follows (strip the mags guts out of the body to start):

*Use a dremel to "raise" the follower stops INSIDE the top of the mag just under 1/4"...meaning the follower will come higher to the top of the mag. It is not a bad idea to do a slight angle change with the re-cut stop the increases the angleof the case at the front.*And, if you have a metal follower, bend the front of the follower that angles down -straight. Melt a plastic follower to do the same.

Note: Robinson Arms makes a replacement follower to adapt these mags to .223 use. I didn't use them because I'm cheap...and because the mod worked so well for me.

Here's a shot -you can see that the follower is raised & straightened.

26095mags_AK74_modified_-1.JPG

BTW, MY mags were made of polished TEAK WOOD! Kiddin' (LOL).

Lollygagger :rolleyes:

Edited by lollygagger