Noobie - Did simple conversion under $300

Im pretty much new at the whole conversion thing, so I wanted to start off simple without having to dremel or drill anything. Im pretty much done with the conversion for now, the only thing I have to do is replace the buttstock, which will not cost me much, since im going to make my own out of wood, I like the way the stock is now, but dont like the plastic. Best part is everything is 922r compliant. (thanks to dinzagarms for helping me for figuring out that end). Ill post a new pic as soon as im done making the buttstock.

So here is what I have done so far:

$80.00 AKBOR1 Bolt-On Retainer (www.dinzagarms.com)

$31.00 AKGT1 Gas Tube 1 (www.dinzagarms.com)

$75.00 FKVHGB K-Var HG Set Black (www.dinzagarms.com)

$40.00 SureFire 30 Round Magazine (www.gilbertsguns.com)

$25.00 Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy mil-dot RifleScope (ebay - org. $100)

$25.00 Top Cover weaver mount for scope (Omega Ordnance - ebay)

$276 total

IMG_4105saiga.jpg

very nice!

Was it difficult at all to get those handguards on there? I'm assuming you have to remove the front sight and that stuff. How did that go?

I've been contemplating doing something similar until I get around to the trigger and pistol grip and etc.

The handguards were easy to install, remove the old guards, take out the gas tube, replace it with the new one, then slap in the new gas tube, and then attach the new upper hand guard to the gas tube (via a grooved channel). Next clip in the lower handguard to the old handguard mount, and then used an allen wrench to adjust the two screws/bolt on hand guard retainer. (its easier then it sounds). One nice thing is the gas tube needed for these handguards gives me an extra 1 US part. (and I gain an extra 3 US Parts with the 30round Surefire mag. for the 922r requirement).

(And as far as the other question, the Surefire mags do not need a bullet guide/feed ramp. Which is why I got them, since im retarted when it comes to cutting/dremeling. Talked about else were on the forums: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=24301 )

And as far as the room, its my wifes office, you think thats bright, you should see the hot pink bathroom of to the side.

Edited by vivavegas
One nice thing is the gas tube needed for these handguards gives me an extra 1 US part.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the gas tube is not a compliance part. And to top it off, the tube you got from Dinzag is more than likely made in Bulgaria. Maybe you're thinking of the gas piston.

very nice!

Was it difficult at all to get those handguards on there? I'm assuming you have to remove the front sight and that stuff. How did that go?

I've been contemplating doing something similar until I get around to the trigger and pistol grip and etc.

he used Dizags lower HG retainer...no need to press anything off...thats why they are $80. he has 2 different models, the cheaper of the two requireing pressing off the FSB and GB.

Well I did mine for WAY LESS than 279 and you don't even have a pistol grip

Tapco FCG 35 bucks Gunshow

SureFire Mag 30 bucks Gunshow

Tapgc Saw Pistol Grip 18 bucks inter net

Tapco T6 butstock 40 bucks

Tapco Pistol grip screw and Nut 6 bucks \

$ 131 plus s/h 13 bucks

and that is 922r

next I need a Quick Detach side rail optics mount 30 bucks, scope, 60 bucks, 7 bucks for a rail mount for my Hand Guard and 15 bucks for a front had grip, that will bring me up to $243 i'll end up getting a Tack Flash Light the a Laser for the Side Rail of my Quick Detach mout for around 80 bucks for that. That is a Grand Total of 323 plus the gun that I paid 250. $573 for One Tricked out Saiga that will Whip the Shit out of Any AR on the Market and for about $400 bucks less than a Crap ass AR that dosent have any of those Cool Parts like the Front Hand Grip , Laser, Optics, Flashlight 30 rd mag.

gallery_10079_190_54286.jpg

Target is at 100 yards 20 shots at range Iron Sights. NOW THAT IS WHAT U CALL A GOOD SHOOTER :killer:

gallery_10079_190_303383.jpg

Edited by MicroMatrix
One nice thing is the gas tube needed for these handguards gives me an extra 1 US part.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the gas tube is not a compliance part. And to top it off, the tube you got from Dinzag is more than likely made in Bulgaria. Maybe you're thinking of the gas piston.

I didnt mean gas tube, my mistake, I meant the hand guards. (These are Bulgarian copies made by K-Var and are marked U.S.. One upper/lower set will count as 1 compliance part.)