Replace standard recoil spring with 1911 spring

I remembered reading a post or two about substituting a 1911 recoil spring for the front recoil spring on the Saiga and thought I'd give it a try just for fun. So, today I replaced the OEM front recoil spring with an 11.5lb variable Wolff 1911 recoil spring and headed off to the range. I have a case of Winchester AA 2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz, #8 birdshot Light Target Load ammo that has never even come close to functioning in my IZ-109.

Different story today. As long as I shouldered the shotgun, it ran perfectly with these light loads. It would not function when fired from the hip. Interestingly, it made no difference if the gas setting was on 1 or 2. It functioned the same on both settings. So I can confirm that using 1911 springs in the Saiga works. However, I wouldn't want to run heavy loads without putting the OEM front recoil spring back in.

So now I'm saving the rest of the case of these light loads to put through Mike's drum when it arrives.

• 4 months later...