How hard is an ak build if u havent done one b4. Ive been told there the hardest build.

Not sure about "hardest build". I think they're pretty easy.

At a build party, you'll have plenty of expertise to draw upon (and tooling).

Hey Saigafreak,

Nalioth is right, the one you build will be the best. Check out r-guns.net, they have an AKS-74 (sidefolder) kit for $350. Mine came in pristine, matching numbers (including the bayonet). As far as them being hard, they actually are a build, unlike throwing an upper and lower together and calling it an "AR build".

As far as tools you need, depends on how in-depth you are going. Generally, you will want a drill press and a BFH for de-milling.

For riveting, ideally you need a press and various purpose-built jigs for it. AK-builder.com has these available, and they aren't cheap. These are specially made jigs to rivet the various parts together. The rivets can be done with a hammer and piece of bar stock, but I doubt you'll wave to do flat rivets on an AK-74. Other solutions for rivets include a specially made set of bolt cutters that are made to press and form rivets (AK-builder.com).

The press is also needed for pushing the barrel in the trunion, but there are alternative methods. (BFH) :chris:

For refinishing, ideally you would want a sandblaster and a tank to parkerize. You can have a shop sandblast the parts and you can duracoat / molyresin / pick your flavor.

De-milling (removing old receiver pieces, drilling out rivets), assembling the receiver (+trunions, trigger guard), and pressing in the barrel are the tough parts. The rest is parts changing. You can go as easy-incorrect or as advanced-correct with the build as you like. You can even assemble a screw build (don't do this on a desireable parts kit, right now, they're ALL desireable)

Like Nalioth suggested, I would find someone who does it in your area (That's what I did, from this board) and get help for the first few. This way you can see things first hand, and meet some like-minded folks. Remember when you do become the expert to "share the wealth". BTW, where are you from?

There had been a rumor of an ak build in my area. He was charging like 100 per person though

That's not a build party, that's a fleecing.

We're having a build party here in Houston tomorrow, and folks are paying $5 each for the food and drink the host is gonna provide.

Im gonna have to do some searching in my area for a build party. Must not be a big thing in ohio.

All of these forums have build party threads for the various parts of the country.

http://www.akfiles.com

http://www.theakforum.net

http://www.gunco.net

I don't visit barfcom, but I have heard they have regional forums and build party notices, too (for Kalashnikovs as well as ARs).

I don't visit barfcom, but I have heard they have regional forums and build party notices, too (for Kalashnikovs as well as ARs).

A build party for AR's? Where do they do it? On their tailgate at the range????

I assembled my ARs while watching television. I don't have the mill or other metal working tools to actually start with a block of aluminum or steel and build one. :haha: