Ok...

Here it is.

I like a nice consistent sight picture. :wub:

I dunno whether it was the marching in cadence sounding off with: Steady Aim Breathe Fire! or what but I do what I can to keep my sight picture the same.

I'm used to the M16 setup, the ghost ring deal and the fork dealy for a front sight. I'm good with that. Yay me.

I also like the way the CCO mounts on the M16, very easy to keep a steady position and sight picture, mainly because you don't have to lose your cheek to stock weld. You can see the irons through the CCO, no problem, if it goes down flip up your reserve irons... happiness.

So, I'm up tonite... fondling my Saiga and keep seeing these pictures online of all these optics way above the barrel. Like you need a cheek piece to use them. Hideous. I bought a pro mag side rail mount and was quite mad that there was no way in hell I could get a comfortable position with the aperture way above my receiver like that.

So back to the drawing board.

I've been playing with my weapon tryin to find the most comfortable configuration of the CCO so that I can have a decent and steady position to keep my sight picture the same.

Now, I'm working with a EO tech, I'm willing to change optics, since I bought this one for my old AR that I made.

I've decided that with my EO, Freedom Optic's Super Flush side rail mount will do most of the trick, I mean be comfy. The cost apparently is that yummy co-witness... but hey, at least it's quick detach if it goes down when the zombies are coming at the very least I'll have to stuff it in pocket and boohoo.

Anyways.

So my questions are these:

1: Can AKs have co witnessing optics and irons? (I heard somewhere that an Aimpoint will co-witness on an Ultimak...)

2: How/Why?

3: Am I truly crazy for waiting for the zombies?

Anyways.

1: Can AKs have co witnessing optics and irons? (I heard somewhere that an Aimpoint will co-witness on an Ultimak...)

1.) Yes, AK's can with the Aimpoint and Ultimak rail. However, you mentioned you already have an Eotech so why not just use that with the quick detachable mount that is provided with it on top of the Ultimak? The Eotech is far better than an Aimpoint IMHO, however if you simply must have the ability to co witness with the irons, Aimpoint will do nicely on an Ultimak.

2.) The Aimpoints sit low enough on the Ultimak rail to allow for co witnessing, whereas the design of the Eotech does not, but you have the quick detach option with the Eotech. The Ultimak rail is the way to go on an AK. It's bolted to the barrel and flexes with the barrel as the barrel flexes. It's proven itself to me in increased accuracy shot after shot verses the side rail receiver mount and gives you a better cheek weld besides.

One thing about peep sights on an AK. They are to far front to get the affect that they were intended for in my experience, however, your mileage may vary. The AK has a very short sight radius, and peeps don't help much. Unless you can get a receiver cover mounted type that is solid that would give you a longer sight radius and bring it closer to your eye you might want to over look that. I believe Tromix has a system that works so you might want to contact them for more info.

3.) It all depends on what your definition of "Zombie" is. The TV versions of the walking dead zombies are gratuitous, because if they are already dead, how do you kill them? I define them as the dregs of society as it slowly disintegrates into anarchy and mob rule. When the Economy collapses you will have many of those types of 'Zombies' to deal with so you are not crazy, but realistic. Preparedness minded folks are not crazy. They are just thought of as crazy and paranoid by the disinformed masses that don't have clue one as to what is about to happen in this once great country of ours. Their eyes see only what they want to see, or are told what it is they see. They have only contempt and fear towards those that posses the means of protection for their own lives, and the lives of their loved ones. It takes a different pair of eyes to see the truth. It then takes a different mind set to assimilate the facts correctly, and respond to them. I said respond, not react. The 'Zombies' react, the thinking people respond. Zombies are essentially brain dead so you do need a means of defense against them when they react out of fear, frustration, and anger. Remember the Rodney King riots. They burned and looted the very places that they lived. Not because it had anything to do with the court decision, but because of what their own community represented to them. Their actions were simultaneously generated reactions, and not a calculated response to an unjust ruling. It only fueled the fires of the very oppression they claim to have rioted against.

Edited by MacMan
Anyways.

1.) Yes, AK's can with the Aimpoint and Ultimak rail. However, you mentioned you already have an Eotech so why not just use that with the quick detachable mount that is provided with it on top of the Ultimak? The Eotech is far better than an Aimpoint IMHO, however if you simply must have the ability to co witness with the irons, Aimpoint will do nicely on an Ultimak.

2.) The Aimpoints sit low enough on the Ultimak rail to allow for co witnessing, whereas the design of the Eotech does not, but you have the quick detach option with the Eotech. The Ultimak rail is the way to go on an AK. It's bolted to the barrel and flexes with the barrel as the barrel flexes. It's proven itself to me in increased accuracy shot after shot verses the side rail receiver mount and gives you a better cheek weld besides.

One thing about peep sights on an AK. They are to far front to get the affect that they were intended for in my experience, however, your mileage may vary. The AK has a very short sight radius, and peeps don't help much. Unless you can get a receiver cover mounted type that is solid that would give you a longer sight radius and bring it closer to your eye you might want to over look that. I believe Tromix has a system that works so you might want to contact them for more info.

3.) It all depends on what your definition of "Zombie" is. The TV versions of the walking dead zombies are gratuitous, because if they are already dead, how do you kill them? I define them as the dregs of society as it slowly disintegrates into anarchy and mob rule. When the Economy collapses you will have many of those types of 'Zombies' to deal with so you are not crazy, but realistic. Preparedness minded folks are not crazy. They are just thought of as crazy and paranoid by the disinformed masses that don't have clue one as to what is about to happen in this once great country of ours. Their eyes see only what they want to see, or are told what it is they see. They have only contempt and fear towards those that posses the means of protection for their own lives, and the lives of their loved ones. It takes a different pair of eyes to see the truth. It then takes a different mind set to assimilate the facts correctly, and respond to them. I said respond, not react. The 'Zombies' react, the thinking people respond. Zombies are essentially brain dead so you do need a means of defense against them when they react out of fear, frustration, and anger. Remember the Rodney King riots. They burned and looted the very places that they lived. Not because it had anything to do with the court decision, but because of what their own community represented to them. Their actions were simultaneously generated reactions, and not a calculated response to an unjust ruling. It only fueled the fires of the very oppression they claim to have rioted against.

ZOMBIE = Those that have never, or will never, no mater what, work for a living and mindlessly vote for those that will continually assure that they will not ever have to work for a living?

And when the checks stop coming, you have a "New Orleans" type scene.

Note: Don't think this as racial.........Zombies come in all flavors!

Naw, Dude..........you're not paranoid.