Buttstock for lenky giant??

Hi all. Nice forum here!

Well my new Saiga 7.62X39 16 inch barrel is likely to be the only rifle I get for the next 3 years :cryss: So I really would like to do it right. I think I understand the conversion but am totally stuck on the stock. I am 6'6" with very lenky arms and big hands(they call me the giant at work.) Due to my budget I am probably stuck with whatever I choose so I want to make the right decision. I have narrowed it to three options and have searched endlessly for more but have not had much luck. Any suggestions much appreciated.

1. KVAR Nato black standard http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=283&page=1

2. My favorite so far is the dragunov look from AT AK Fiberforce here http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS002-20888-1872.html

It seems nobody does this on the 16", does it look dumb or something or not function well? Also how is it for length? Fit and function is more important to me than looks, but I do like this one. Is the PG big enough? Don't care about the handguards and prob. wont change them out as I like the stock HG.

3. I would consider a folder if some of you experts thought it would be my best choice for fit.

4. Wood is fine too if it comes large enough and made in USA.

Thanks a ton!!!

Hi all. Nice forum here!

Well my new Saiga 7.62X39 16 inch barrel is likely to be the only rifle I get for the next 3 years :cryss: So I really would like to do it right. I think I understand the conversion but am totally stuck on the stock. I am 6'6" with very lenky arms and big hands(they call me the giant at work.) Due to my budget I am probably stuck with whatever I choose so I want to make the right decision. I have narrowed it to three options and have searched endlessly for more but have not had much luck. Any suggestions much appreciated.

1. KVAR Nato black standard http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=283&page=1

2. My favorite so far is the dragunov look from AT AK Fiberforce here http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS002-20888-1872.html

It seems nobody does this on the 16", does it look dumb or something or not function well? Also how is it for length? Fit and function is more important to me than looks, but I do like this one. Is the PG big enough? Don't care about the handguards and prob. wont change them out as I like the stock HG.

3. I would consider a folder if some of you experts thought it would be my best choice for fit.

4. Wood is fine too if it comes large enough and made in USA.

Thanks a ton!!!

Welcome to the forum! Plan on spending a lot of time here, it's habit forming. Sounds like you have a fitting problem with almost any standard stock. As hard as it may seem/sound, making your own stock is really not very hard. The wood can be had at almost any lumber store in either 2'' thick or 1" thick that can be glued and clamped. Your existing stock is the pattern for the receiver area and I did mine with simple hand tools. Most of my shaping was by hand with a rasp. As seen in the pic, I added a smal rise (monte carlo style) tjo help with cheek weld for scope. Either way you go, good luck and you will find any thing you need to know about Saiga on this forum.

post-5898-1208224983_thumb.jpg

My gripe with the fiberforce is that it's purely cosmetic. On a Russian sniper scope, it is higher than the iron sights and off center to the left. The cheek rest allows you to steady your head to that level, but swivel it away to use the iron sights if needed. The ATI gives the look, but not the function if you're using a Russian style scope mount such as a PSO or POSP.

take a look at the elevation difference for the cheek rest:

true dragunov

Svd_1_russian.jpg

ATI fiberforce

AKS-002.jpg

Thanks for the input. Mountain, I see the elevation difference you speak of. I guess I'll have to wait for my next rifle to be a real dragunov. Kevin that is sweet weapon you have there and I am glad to hear you like the adjustable and might choose that one if I can't produce a decent wood one. Thanks OldOne for the inspiration. Lucky for me I have tons of trees down in the back yard, mostly locust with some oak, maple and cherry. OK, the stock stock for the plug in now I just need a template for the rest. OldOne's looks about perfect. This isjust great as I am one step closer to a scope oh yeah. We'll I'm gonna go get the chainsaw started up for the first time this spring. Peace and Thanks again.

JB

Hello

I just got a new soft case (Cheaper than Dirt) to hold my Zombie Saw. I did adjust one of the 47 round magazines to fit the receiver although you can not put the 47 round magazine in the rifle with the forward hand grip installed. Here are a few more pictures I took tonight. I hope to go back to the range I the next two weekends.

post-9422-1208304998_thumb.jpg

post-9422-1208305016_thumb.jpg

post-9422-1208305026_thumb.jpg

I about vomited when my KVAR NATO length stock showed up - the stupid damn thing is only going to extend 9" out behind the body of the receiver... I'm 5/10 having a hard time with the grip and stock placement on this rifle, I was hoping that getting rid of the factory skeleton stock (extends 10" past the receiver body) would help - but being shorter I think this is going to make things even worse...

there has to be a stock out there that is 10" or 11" long and doesn't cost $100.... right?