I have a question for those who have bought and used the new ProMags that are labled as "Saiga Mags".

Are they actually designed to feed a Saiga with no feedramp installed? I'm planning on calling them tomorrow to ask them personally. I haven't seen the Surefire mags for the x39 but I have heard that they already have a bullet guide built in. Is that true? I do have a Surefire 25 rd mag for my .308 and it feeds fine, but the .308 doesn't need a bullet guide.

I bought a new ProMag the other day and I really like it. It looks just like a Bulgarian waffle mag and fits great. I tried it out in my new dimpled :wub: x39 and it fed perfectly until the very last round that dove into the breech face. This mag was one of those labled "Saiga" so it makes me wonder...are they, or are they not designed to work without a bullet guide, or are they just normal AK mags? Holding the two side by side (one steel AK mag) it looks to be like normal with no built up area for the bullet ramp.

Post #46

Group: Members

Member No.: 10,068

Ok I just got a bunch of new Master Molder mags (10 :-) and I'm having a problem that I can't seem to correct. I was testing them in a 20" 7.62x39 with a flat trunnion and no bullet guide.

They seemed to work fine when I cycle the rounds by hand but when I had the mags out on the range to test them out I put 3rnds in each test mag, and what I found was about 80% of the time I would fire the first round and then it would eject the spent casing plus a unused round resulting in no round in the chamber+one round left in the magazine.

I lowered the front lip on one of the mags to try to match it to the height of the factory mag and kept getting the same result, and continually lowered the front lip until it was noticeably less high than the factory mags, same symptom no change throughout.

So at this point I started to get frustrated and thought maybe these mags are just fckd, so I pulled out my converted 16" (round trunnion w/dinzag's bullet guide) and them fired a series of 3rnds per mags in the mag with the lowered lip and the mags without, zero problems every round fed and fired.

I modified the catches on each mag to fit tightly into the weapon not the weapon to fit the mags.

Has anyone had these same kind of issues? Or have any idea how to resolve them? Only thing I can think of is install a bullet guide and see if that helps...

Edited by photohause
I bought 2 pro mags, they are not saiga and I do have bullet guide. Every time I racked a round in it would smash into the side of the breach. Did a little dremmeling on the mag and ground down the bullet guide and everything cycles ok....just need to get some range time to really see if it works

Post #46

Group: Members

Member No.: 10,068

Ok I just got a bunch of new Master Molder mags (10 :-) and I'm having a problem that I can't seem to correct. I was testing them in a 20" 7.62x39 with a flat trunnion and no bullet guide.

They seemed to work fine when I cycle the rounds by hand but when I had the mags out on the range to test them out I put 3rnds in each test mag, and what I found was about 80% of the time I would fire the first round and then it would eject the spent casing plus a unused round resulting in no round in the chamber+one round left in the magazine.

I lowered the front lip on one of the mags to try to match it to the height of the factory mag and kept getting the same result, and continually lowered the front lip until it was noticeably less high than the factory mags, same symptom no change throughout.

So at this point I started to get frustrated and thought maybe these mags are just fckd, so I pulled out my converted 16" (round trunnion w/dinzag's bullet guide) and them fired a series of 3rnds per mags in the mag with the lowered lip and the mags without, zero problems every round fed and fired.

I modified the catches on each mag to fit tightly into the weapon not the weapon to fit the mags.

Has anyone had these same kind of issues? Or have any idea how to resolve them? Only thing I can think of is install a bullet guide and see if that helps...