Saiga Conversion Question

I have read the tutorial but have a question about the OEM springs before I order my replacement FCG. Does the conversion require any different springs, or do the stock springs work with the new FCG? I plan to order the G2 FCG and wonder if I need any other small parts as well. Any info appreciated.

Glenn Butzlaff

Cudahy, WI

glennb: Are you reffering to the Shepherd's Hook Smiley's talking about or teh disconnector spring? Either way, you can reuse both of them on the 7.62x39 and the 12ga. But the 308 has a bigger disconnector spring that won't be compatable with a new AK FCG. This is what I've learned so far from my conversions.

Thanks for the info guys. So the shephards hook is actually the retainer. I was thinking it was a spring.

I like that ACE stock too. I want to do this conversion by Christmas vacation so when my son comes home from school we have a the Saiga ready to go to the range (with lots of pumpkins to shoot). I still have to figure out what stock to get. I like that Krinkov stock in the conversion tutorial as well.

glennb:

I am pretty new to all this to. I bought a WASR-10 and two Saiga's in 7.62. One of the first things I did was swap out the shepard's hook or crook for a Red Star Arms Retainer Plate costing $12. They are very easy to install and take out, unlike the shephard's hook.

I ordered parts today to begin the conversion. I am going to move the FCG forward and attach a folding stock. I already have the new RSA Retainer on hand for the conversion.

I thought I would offer it up as an option for you to consider. Other sites offer the same part for a buck less but Red Star Arms has very fast delivery.

http://www.redstararms.com/

Good luck on the conversion.

Wolverine

watch out for the tapco fcg.

mine didn't come with a new disconnector spring.

i tried to use my old one but the shape of the new disconnector is different so the old spring is too short.

looks like i'll be ordering that wolf disconnector spring.

also the hammer is not matching up with my bolt carrier very well.

my factory hammer had the tip cut back to allow the bolt carrier to pass after cocking.

the new hammer is rounded on the end resulting in the carrier catching on the hammer on return causing the carrier to stop as if a bolt hold open was installed.

i'm gonna have to grind down the tip of the hammer so that it will clear the carrier.

i like my factory fcg better than the tapco one but i need it to make my us parts count.

bummer!