Is a converted Saiga 7.62x39 NY State Legal? (not NYC)

I'm looking at a Saiga 7.62 and I want to have it converted to use cheaper AKM preban mags.

I need advice or where to look if it is legal to use AKM Preban Mags (which I'm sure ARE legal) on a converted saiga.

What I have heard is that the conversion IS legal provided a few US made parts are installed to replace foreign parts.

Can some point me to some legal resources regarding this?

I live outside of NY City so I am talking about New York State.

Go to ar15.com and open the hometown section. Go to NY/NJ. There is an active post outlining NYS gun laws. It is listed as "Work in progress: NYS Gun Laws Resource & FAQ". The U.S. made parts you're referring to is the FEDERAL 922 compliance issue. There are stickies on this forum explaining this. Bottom line is this; A saiga has 15 listed parts. You need 10 or less of these listed parts to be imported to exempt the rifle from 922. Fire control group is 3. Stock and handguard is 2. For 922 you're good at this point. A U.S. made floorplate or follower can be used to reduce the count further if you wish. A saiga was not available before September of 1994 so under N.Y. State law you're definitely "post-ban". You can comply with the law with 1 "evil feature". Most people choose a protruding pistol grip as that feature. (I also live in N.Y.).

Vorpal

Go to ar15.com and open the hometown section. Go to NY/NJ. There is an active post outlining NYS gun laws. It is listed as "Work in progress: NYS Gun Laws Resource & FAQ". The U.S. made parts you're referring to is the FEDERAL 922 compliance issue. There are stickies on this forum explaining this. Bottom line is this; A saiga has 15 listed parts. You need 10 or less of these listed parts to be imported to exempt the rifle from 922. Fire control group is 3. Stock and handguard is 2. For 922 you're good at this point. A U.S. made floorplate or follower can be used to reduce the count further if you wish. A saiga was not available before September of 1994 so under N.Y. State law you're definitely "post-ban". You can comply with the law with 1 "evil feature". Most people choose a protruding pistol grip as that feature. (I also live in N.Y.).

Vorpal

A stock Saiga 7.62x39 has 14 "countable" parts. Just so people don't get confused.