weak. i was gonna justify my semiauto rifle purchases as a "hunting" item. i guess i'll stick to "zombie apocalypse" then. seriously though; its kinda strange, considering you can buy an AK in the hunting section of most PA sporting goods stores.

Yes that is true. I just did some research cause I am getting out of the Army and moving back to PA after 13 yrs. You can look it up on www.pgc.pa. It explains that you can use a centerfire, muzzleloader, bow, and crossbow.
Can you explain this a bit better? Last time I looked, all Saiga rifles were centerfire.
weak. i was gonna justify my semiauto rifle purchases as a "hunting" item. i guess i'll stick to "zombie apocalypse" then. seriously though; its kinda strange, considering you can buy an AK in the hunting section of most PA sporting goods stores.

Where are you talking about? I live about 30 miles east of State College smack dab in the middle of PA, Centre County aka HUNTIN' COUNTRY. When you can find an FFL (the BATFE has shut many down and intimidated others into closing), AK platform rifles are rare as hen's teeth. Plus you have to deal with the "I don't like semi autos" and "Commie gun" remarks at the range and even at some FFLs. I happen to like and try and collect Cold War pieces on a limited budget. Maybe Philly has a lot of tactical weapons but hereabouts if its not a Fudd gun, its not available. I'd LOVE to be able to go into a shop and compare rifles and check for cant and what not but its not happening here. If you are moving to an area that has rows or AKs I love to know where it is. Truthfully, I have yet to find ONE person that has even heard of a Saiga in these parts. Unbelievable!

Cheers,

RWB64

well, unless everything's changed since last year....

the last time I saw an AK in PA was a whole row of Yugo Underfolders at Mitchell's Sporting Goods

(i believe that was the name, it's a common franchise, usually found in your nearest strip mall.)

i used to live in York County, so maybe it's different there.

i can't really speak of the fudd-gun issue, because i didn't get the opportunity to go to the range as much as back in CA, which is really really ironic, and my tastes tend to run different than the crowd anyways. but if it's cheap, fires every time and can be tossed into the back of your truck with reckless abandon- then any good country boy should see the utilitarian value in that. i presume that's why SKS's have become a predominant buba rifle. on the other hand, PA has that old-fashioned "Pennsylvania Dutch" sensibility, so that may be a big part to why they stick to humble ol-fashioned rifles.

Where are you talking about? I live about 30 miles east of State College smack dab in the middle of PA, Centre County aka HUNTIN' COUNTRY. When you can find an FFL (the BATFE has shut many down and intimidated others into closing), AK platform rifles are rare as hen's teeth. Plus you have to deal with the "I don't like semi autos" and "Commie gun" remarks at the range and even at some FFLs. I happen to like and try and collect Cold War pieces on a limited budget. Maybe Philly has a lot of tactical weapons but hereabouts if its not a Fudd gun, its not available. I'd LOVE to be able to go into a shop and compare rifles and check for cant and what not but its not happening here. If you are moving to an area that has rows or AKs I love to know where it is. Truthfully, I have yet to find ONE person that has even heard of a Saiga in these parts. Unbelievable!

Cheers,

RWB64

Maybe you should leave the State College area once in awhile....

I live near Raystown Lake and you can get an AK practically anywhere. There's about 20 WASRs on sale at Dunham's Sports on a daily basis. I bought my first Saiga used at Allegheny Trade in Duncansville and it was right next to about 3 WASRs, an RPK, and a Bulgarian Arsenal with blonde furniture. Take a trip down the block to East Coast and I bought my second Saiga NIB for 250 bucks. Run yourself over to Pioneer Guns and theres just as much there as well. I haven't been to Grice's lately but I'm sure there's some fun stuff there.

To address OP's question, yes it is illegal to hunt with a semi-automatic rifle in PA. It is legally to use a semi-automatic shotgun as long as it's plugged to 3 rounds and you are using it for small game.

I live near Raystown Lake and you can get an AK practically anywhere. There's about 20 WASRs on sale at Dunham's Sports on a daily basis. I bought my first Saiga used at Allegheny Trade in Duncansville and it was right next to about 3 WASRs, an RPK, and a Bulgarian Arsenal with blonde furniture. Take a trip down the block to East Coast and I bought my second Saiga NIB for 250 bucks. Run yourself over to Pioneer Guns and theres just as much there as well. I haven't been to Grice's lately but I'm sure there's some fun stuff there.

To address OP's question, yes it is illegal to hunt with a semi-automatic rifle in PA. It is legally to use a semi-automatic shotgun as long as it's plugged to 3 rounds and you are using it for small game.

Ditto on that, We (Blair County) are crawling with AK style and "black evil" guns around here. If you claim that we arn't rural I can take ya to a shop down a paved cow path outside Indiana, Pa that is mil-sup and semi auto mostly. No offense but the State College area sucks for firearms, period.

Ditto on that, We (Blair County) are crawling with AK style and "black evil" guns around here. If you claim that we arn't rural I can take ya to a shop down a paved cow path outside Indiana, Pa that is mil-sup and semi auto mostly. No offense but the State College area sucks for firearms, period.

"College" might be the key word there............a bit too "liberal" maybe?

(Former Scranton resident)

"College" might be the key word there............a bit too "liberal" maybe?

(Former Scranton resident)

Ya the town is the problem, I'm sure the farm/rural areas left around there would be ok with them.