Threading your own accesories ?

I asked this in another topic but i figure making my own topic would get an answer faster...

i realize u use a tat for barrel threads wen using a die, but if i was to make my own muzzle brake, what would i use to assure proper alignment with the bore using a tap, does the thread alignment tool work both ways, i mean, for the tap and the die ? help help!

off my nuts - first project dealing with making my own threads :x

Edited by cYr`

The thread alignment tool isn't going to work for a tap, as it's already going into the hole. If you are drilling in a press or lathe, then you can tap the ole then, while the part is still in place, using a center point in the chuck or tailstock in the small center hole in the square end of the tap. While applying a small amount of pressure, turn the tap in by hand with a wrench. Make sure the tap is lubricated with something, tapping fluid is best, but any oil is better than dry. It should be very close if you're careful, the muzzle brake bore should have some clearance anyway.

The thread alignment tool isn't going to work for a tap, as it's already going into the hole. If you are drilling in a press or lathe, then you can tap the ole then, while the part is still in place, using a center point in the chuck or tailstock in the small center hole in the square end of the tap. While applying a small amount of pressure, turn the tap in by hand with a wrench. Make sure the tap is lubricated with something, tapping fluid is best, but any oil is better than dry. It should be very close if you're careful, the muzzle brake bore should have some clearance anyway.

so it'd be best to have someone do it with a lathe ?

Yes, a lathe is best, for both interior and exterior threads, if you want them really straight.

I have redone threads for people who didn't get them straight, even with the alignment tool.

Yes, a lathe is best, for both interior and exterior threads, if you want them really straight.

I have redone threads for people who didn't get them straight, even with the alignment tool.

k.thx

im looking and pricing some lathes... like reading german. i mean, im slightly enclined, mechanicly, but uh..

cnc vs manual lathe ?

14-16" vs 20-22" swing ?

im not building the trade center here. just a machine to do home-workshop hobbys such as <1.5" threads knurlls etc.

point me in the right direction ??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

I can't recommend you a specific kind of lathe, but in my opinion anything a CNC can do, you can do with a manual lathe and your trusty micrometer. Personally i prefer the manual one, you have total control over things and when you get the end result right it's more of a satisfaction.

trying to split the difference with cost and effectivness... but i dont know anything about lathes for that matter...

could you recommend something small, bench-top type, for what im trying to do...

<1.5" threads, knurlls, turning to widths, etc

you know.. home workshop stuff

ive been looking and for the most part i see industrial machines with computerized interfaces and giant working tables... 6-10k $ ...not what im looking for

maybe the names of companies that make lathes and milling machines would help me.. cuz like i said.. i dont know anything about lathes...

((yea yea, so why are u buying one... :X i know i know, practice makes perfect :)))

thx acer+rain... so far the www.mini-lathe.com is the most abundant resource ive seen... lists name brands, models, accessories, reviews, prices, and about anything u can think of having to do with lathes/mills... and all prices are under 1000$

again thx. helped alot

Edited by cYr`